Where in our brain is long term memory stored?

Where in our brain are:

sensory memory

short term (working memory)

long term memory

STORED?

I need links with the answer, as proof to show my teacher. I am finding a hard time pinpointing the region. I get that the prefrontal cortex is ASSOCIATED with all 3 types of memories, but where are the above three STORED?

• L.E.
    Favorite Answer

As far as I know, long term memory is stored all around the cerebral cortex. There is no ONE place (which is why you can't find a pinpointed region).

Working memory "is largely located in the frontal and parietal lobes". Brain imaging studies using PET and fMRI brain imaging indicate that the auditory parts of working memory are generally lateralised to the left frontal and parietal lobes where they interact with neuronal networks involved in speech, planning, and decision-making."

Anyway, it's too much to type out, just read the chapter on Learning and Memory in this document: http://www.sfn-montreal.ca/baw/brainbee/Eng.pdf (don't worry, it's credible - it's used for an international neuroscience competition).

Hope this helps!