Do Devices Like The Kindle Make Self Publishing Practical?

I was at a Barnes and Noble today and noticed their new "Nook" device. It seems like everyone is coming out with an electronic book reader, and I am wondering what you writers out there think about the idea that this may make a substantial difference in the viability of self published authors? The... show more I was at a Barnes and Noble today and noticed their new "Nook" device. It seems like everyone is coming out with an electronic book reader, and I am wondering what you writers out there think about the idea that this may make a substantial difference in the viability of self published authors?

The reason I ask of course is, with B&N going bankrupt and other major book sellers cutting back, it seems like they have all taken a major hit from these devices. Agents are going out of business all over the place, and publishers are not talking. I just don't know.

What are some of the advantages of traditional publishing over self publishing?

What are some of the advantages of self publishing over traditional?
Update: nice, very useful "old lady" smashwords looks perfect for what I've been looking for, thanks :)
Update 2: Sorry about that asbestos, I should have said they are for sale, not going bankrupt yet... But according to the analysts, if they don't get bought soon, they will have to seek bankruptcy protection.