? asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

Do non-metals react with water?

According to the book, Heinemanne Chemistry for CSEC, "Non-metals have no reaction with water" but the page after it stated,

"Chlorine dissolves in and reacts with water to form a mixture of acids:

Cl2(g) + H2O(l)--> HCl(aq) + HOCl (aq) "

Chlorine is a non-metal yet it reacts with water. Is it a mistake in the book or is it just an exception; if so, are there any other exceptions? oh and i just started learning chemistry so please leave simple answers

Update:

An acid-base reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs between an acid and a base. It forms salt & water only. In this reaction an acid is formed.....Na is not a non-metal. It's a metal. Please don't bother to answer if you're not good at chemistry.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Non-metals will normally not react with water, however, non-metal oxides will react with water to form acids. In this example, chlorine gas will react with water to form hydrochloric acid and hypochlorous acid.

Source(s): 5 on AP Chemistry
  • 9 years ago

well I believe that this is an acid base reaction the H is combining with the Cl forming the aqueous HCl. There are some exception to this such as acid based reactions... but i cant remember the other exceptions

Source(s): AP chemistry
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It depends on whether the non-metal and water molecules attract or repel each other.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes Na also reacts with water and form sodium hydroxide

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axyTN

Of course they react!

• 4 years ago

NO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.