Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amanda Bear asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog just ate a full bar of soap!!?

is he gonna be ok?? he is pretty good bout eating toxic stuff cuz he ate rasinetts the chocolate covered rasins and he was perfectly fine!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    That's pretty unusual - Dogs usually don't tolerate chocolate. (Must not have been real chocolate...)

    Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants known as methylxanthines. If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.

    Typically, the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. As little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate—or only two ounces of baking chocolate—can cause serious problems in a 10-pound dog. While white chocolate may not have the same potential as darker forms to cause a methylxanthine poisoning, the high fat content of lighter chocolates could still lead to vomiting and diarrhea, as well as the possible development of life-threatening pancreatitis, an inflammatory condition of the pancreas.

    On the other hand, most bar soaps contain detergents, which can cause gastrointestinal irritation (including vomiting and diarrhea) if ingested. If the soap also contains essential oils (such as lavender, for example), it is possible that minor central nervous system depression could occur, depending on the concentration of oils and other circumstances of exposure. Certain soaps are made with glycerin or other emollients, which can have a cathartic effect—causing loose stools or diarrhea. If gastrointestinal signs become persistent, they could lead to dehydration.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yeah, he'll probably be alright. Rock LOVES soap and has eaten about three bars in the past... we now have a rule that no bathroom doors are to EVER be left open because she'll just sneak in there and BAM! No soap!

    Just, y'know, keep the soap away from your dog in the future.

  • 1 decade ago

    He'll be throwing it up shortly.

    Looks like you aren't the only one to have this happen. Check out the sites below.

    "my dog ate a bar of soap" via yahoo search

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=my%20dog%20ate%20...

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Watch your dog, make sure he doesn't start acting weird ect... anything out of the normal I suggest you call an animal clinic for advice.

    He's most likely going to get sick, so prepare for that.

  • 1 decade ago

    call your vet immediately! it depends on the type of soap but he should be fine...but call your vet to make sure!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.