Daughter stole credit card #?

My friends 15 year daughter stole her credit card #. She use it to buy music from itunes. The daughter doesn't know that her mother know. She found out looking at her bank statement. How should she handle the situation? God works in mysterious ways now her ipod touch doesn't work!

How do she approach her about it?

Best Answer

Do U mean how should the mother handle it? Well, as the mother of a 16yr old..I would take away any and ALL privileges! No allowance (tht would go to paying me back my $$). No TV. No Internet. No phone..and that means take away the cell. No movies. No hanging out w/friends. Straight to school & home. And once home, doing homework @ the kitchen table & then to the bedroom (w/all items removed from the bedroom..meaning TV, phone, internet, etc.). This punishment would go on as long as it takes her to pay me back the $$ she stole! She would also b doing some extra work around my home & for others (2 get $$ 2 pay me back). Walking dogs. Moving lawns. Raking leaves. Babysitting. Anything she could do to earn $$.

And there would b some serious trust issues from that point on! I don't think I would fully trust her again! It would b a long time earning my trust back! And, if she is any kind of decent person (which I doubt because she stole from her mother) that would hurt more then any punishment I could doll out!

• Faith

She should show her daughter the statement. Just quietly hand it to her without a word. Let the daughter see that she was caught.

Your friend should take the mp3 player from her daughter and not allow her to use it for at least a month or more.

If was the mom I'd tell my daughter I sure was going to enjoy listening to music from itunes. I'd even wear it let my daughter see me using it. If she fusses I'd just tell her she isn't gone to listen to stolen music. Yes, it was stole since she didn't have permission to use the credit care.

Your friend may want to contact the credit card company about getting a new card. I'd worry the daughter could have copied the number some where and still have it. Or even worse she may have shared the number with other people.

Source(s): homeschooling mom of 3
  • Anon

iTunes makes it easy to order something without realizing which card it's being charged to, or even that one is being charged for it.

When registering with iTunes, the default is that they require a credit card number, so that it's on file for future purposes. There are ways around needing the card, but it is the default. The mom may not remember that she gave the card number at that point, and iTunes just stored it.

I don't think this is an example of willful stealing, simply an opportunity to discuss how iTunes works, forcing the daughter to pay back the expenses, and figuring out how to take the credit card off file.

Have her arrested for petty larceny to put a scare in her. If she downloaded something like Justin Beiber, have the police tack on disorderly conduct.

Take away her ipod even though its broke. Make her work off any charges.