Why is it hard for people with mental disorders to recognize it?

I know it wouldn't be fun to be labeled with schizophrenia,OCD, bipolar disorder, or transsexualism, but why can't they realize they have a disorder. Is it just part of the mental disease that makes them think they are mentally normal. Do they really think just about the entire world would list it as a mental disorder if it wasn't? Are they just to proud to admit they have a mental disease? It's not their fault they have this disorder, why can't they just accept it and try to work on a solution.

Favorite Answer

mentally disordered peoloe are mentally disordered , or disordered mentally

therefore they may not know that the thoughts they are having are twisted by their illness.

homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder until 1973 and there is a grassroots groundswell movement by many mental health professionals to have it relisted. particularly because of the bizArre behaviors exhibited by people who are homosexuals at their " pride parades" and behaviors that are common to the " orientation"

• Judy

For a person with a mental disorder, their behavior is normal to them because that is what they know. I wrestled with symptoms of depression off and on for years before I finally got treated. I didn't realize how bad things were until I was in treatment for a while. Now, I know that I do not want to ever go back to that place (depression).

I agree with Erica. Transsexualism is now classified as a medical condition, not mental health.

Source(s): I am a transwoman who has struggled with depression symptoms.

Those of us without mental disorders just want something to blame our problems on. If you actually had the mental disorder, you would think otherwise. For example, I have really bad OCD and I absolutely hate it. It feel as if it controls over my mind at times. I can't do certain tasks without doing them a certain way.

I am bipolar and i am perfectly fine with admitting things like this. but im a minority, usually it's pride and the disorder allows for some delusions, I hid under a bus once because i had some crazy delusion, i ran out of meds. usually when you get back to normal you look back on that stuff and think "man that's ****ed up" usually its denial or pride or a delusion. im far more rational than most people so I;m sure most people don't react the same as me so i cant really quote my experience.

• ?

Sometimes it is hard for a person to realize a problem they may have because they don't have the outside perspective. They are unable to see their own behavior (like with being bipolar). I have a friend that is, but he feels he's completely healthy mentally. This is due to him not being able to comprehend how he acts. I think it just comes with the territory.

I myself have a mild case of OCD. It is present enough in my life to be annoying, but it doesn't interfere with my daily life functions. I just find myself to be extremely picky how certain things are and tend to be very detailed and thorough with particular tasks. Not to mention the repetition that is sometimes required. LOL

The Tall & Tantalizing

Makayla Milan

• For argument's sake, let's say Transsexualism was a mental disorder.

Explain why in over 50 years of trying, no form of psychotherapy, drug therapy, electro-convulsive therapy, or brain surgery has EVER alleviated the condition?

Even the most pervasive, insidious mental disorders show some response to one of these forms of treatment.

Yet amazingly, when you transform the BODY of a Transsexual person, all their gender problems go away.

MAYBE... just maybe... Transsexualism is actually a PHYSICAL CONDITION. MAYBE it is a A DEVELOPMENTAL MISTAKE, and that's why a PHYSICAL CORRECTION works as the solution.

Even someone as simple-minded as you appear to be, should be able to grasp this.

Your question is very complex. Many people that have these types of disorders refuse to take medications, get counselling or join self-help groups, SO....it's hard for them to recognize these disorders when they are living in their own head. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I try my best to know when it's time for my medications to help myself get through it, also, if I don't do that, I try breathing excersises to help me calm down. If I am feeling depressed, I go for a walk, call a friend etc....You cannot help anyone who doesn't see they have a problem or more importantly, want to seek the help they need.

• DaveK

I know compulsion is a disorder. WHY are you constantly here? Just come out and get it over with. Christ!

i am *not* insane. the doctors voted 3 to 2 in my favour!

there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a bicycle.

• .

Princess and Angela you two are a Riot! I LOVE LESBIANS!!!