JesseOmar asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

were can you catch wild guppies?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

The guppy is named after the Rev. J.L. Guppy of Trinidad, an early collector of the species from the late 1800's. Guppies (Poecilia reticulata) are placed in the family as mollies and mosquitofish.

Natural habitat

The wild, original guppy is native to Central America, as well as Trinidad and northern South America. Today, many guppies are found in Asia, especially Singapore, where many fancy strains are bred in large fish farms, and shipped to pet stores all over the world.

The Fancy Guppy

Fancy guppies are the result of specialized breeding techniques and they only slightly resemble the small, wild guppy, often seen in pet stores labeled "feeder fish". Credit is due these active little fish, however, which are a joy for many who keep them.

A man name Dr. Ab in the mid-sixties observed that ordinary wild guppies, when given top quality food, water, and care, gained much size. An American named Paul Hahnel used controlled breeding and selection to bring about the first true fancy-tailed guppy, similar to the veil tail of today. Other breeders worked on the colour and developed more tail shapes such as the sword tails, round tails, and spear tails. Guppy fancier groups were established, and these organizations developed a set of guppy standards by which to judge them in guppy shows.

As a result, emphasis was placed on large finnage, intense and uniform colour, and keeping each strain (colour) breeding true and as similar as possible. There are hundreds of fancy strains, and the genetic possibilities in the guppy seem endless as more strains are constantly being developed.

If the different strains are allowed to mix continually, the outcome would resemble the original wild guppy. While some genes are erased or replaced through breeding, the resulting guppy would loose much colour and size.

Notes

An ideal temperature for adult guppies is 72 to 76 F. Fry are often raised in warmer water for the first 2 or 3 months (78 - 80 F).

The guppy is a live bearer, with an average gestation period of 28 days.

The female guppy has drops of between 2-200 fry, normally about 30 to 60.

The female matures at about 3 months, the males earlier, at around 6 weeks. This depends on genetics and environment.

The life span for a well cared-for guppy is 1.5 to 3 years on average.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Well I would bother about wild guppies when I can buy tame ones in a pet shop but if you want to catch some....they can be caught in the lakes of Costa Rica. You might see some for sale on some web sites.

• 9 years ago

You may be talking about wild-caught guppies, which are simply guppies caught in their native habitats. You'll never see these anymore, unless you live in Trinidad or maybe Venezuela

also

Australia imported the guppy to help control insect populations, they now appear wild in a number of areas. You can also find them wild in South Florida, where they seem to exist fine with the native Gambusia and other similar species. AFAIK the South Florida populations are all escapes from commercial ponds. You can find a lot of wild populations of imports here. Guppies, oscars, mollies, pacu, flag cichlids, boas, Nile monitors, squirrel monkeys, spider monkeys, gibbons, Flamingos, Cubs Fans, etc. Fortunately, gators aren't picky about what they eat...

hope i helped

Source(s): guppy research
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

were can you catch wild guppies?

Source(s): catch wild guppies: https://shortly.im/Vn6Wj
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jools
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Doesn't really matter as it's something that shouldn't be done. Any responsible fishkeeper will buy the Guppies that have been bred in captivity.

• 9 years ago

I'm with Jools on this.

When you put wild caught fish in an aquarium, it stresses them out. They have a hard time adapting, and usually die.

That, or they introduce and bring diseases to your tank, and therefore to any other fish in the tank.

Its not a wise decision to put ANY wild caught fish in the home aquarium.

• 9 years ago

why do u want wild fish they are under $2 at the store

• 9 years ago

look out for clean unpolluted spots like rivers or lakes

for me an unexpected location would be a monsoon drain .. near my house .. ..

the problem with them is that they are transparent & tiny compared to the ones i get @ the stall

• 9 years ago

just buy them at the pet store there are like $2

• 9 years ago

its easier, and safer to just buy them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.