Flying into Phoenix in October and plan to visit the Grand Canyon. What are other points of interest?

I have two boys 13 and 10. We are staying in Scotsdale and want to take 2 days to drive up to the Canyon and sight see on the way to and from. What are other "must sees" and where would be a good place to stay? Eat? Unique points of interests? Etc. I would love to see the canyon at sunset so I would... show more I have two boys 13 and 10. We are staying in Scotsdale and want to take 2 days to drive up to the Canyon and sight see on the way to and from. What are other "must sees" and where would be a good place to stay? Eat? Unique points of interests? Etc. I would love to see the canyon at sunset so I would prefer a hotel about a hours drive or less. All of the Hotels within the Canyon are completely booked :( Thanks