Do your kids build forts in the house?

What is considered a fort to you? How elaborate are they in your house?

Best Answer

Of course! We have one up in our downstairs now. It's pretty much a permanent fixture actually, the girls sleep there more than they do in their own room. The one up now is pretty elaborate. They've colonized our big 8-person camping tent, dragged a queen mattress down 2 flights of stairs from their bed, that's under the blanket tent, the top of which is attached to the sofa and extends to drape over the TV and games system. The younger kids' play kitchen holds up the other part of it, they've got all the extra blankets tied together with knitting yarn.

I would have died and gone to heaven if I was allowed to make a fort at all, let alone one like that, so I don't rain on their parade. I help and add on to it when I see a way, LOL! We can fit our entire family + kids' friends in there. This thing is pretty extended.

We're working on rebuilding their treehouse my husband made them at our old house, we took it apart when we moved and they're itching to have it back again, I'm sure if we get it finished this weekend, they'll be cramming as many overnights in there as they can before it turns too cold.

Not yet...but as soon as they're old enough for me to convince them that forts are cool...we're all over it.

I used to use every flat sheet in the house and make multiroom forts that were super fun!

I recently found a bunkbed set that has a built in fort on the bottom half and a slide that comes off the top bunk...I think that would make an awesome starting core for a massive house wide sheet fort!

• Faith

oh yes all the time.

This morning my 8yr old son built one for our dog. ; )

If I let them my younger two will build some pretty big ones that cover the whole bedroom. They will use sheets (off their own bed.) & hang them around the room. They will use drawers to help hold up the sheet by opening the drawer and shutting part of the sheet in it. Sometimes unknown to me they will tape the sheets to the wall. They have tied the sheet to door knobs too. They can get pretty creative.

I've been tempted to fuss at them for stripping down their beds but I use to do the same thing. It is pain to make up the bed again every night but they are now old enough to do it themselves.

Best of all it keeps them busy for hours.

Source(s): homeschooling mom of 3 - 14, 10 & 8

I used to always build forts out of pillow cushions, chairs and blankets and it was a lot of fun.

Make sure you kids clean up after them selves though and if they are building them with chairs make sure that they are sturdy so that they do not fall on them!!

They make them out of bedsheets and furniture (dining chairs or tables). We have a storage room that is only about 5ft high but runs under one of the bedrooms, it is accessed off the stairs and at the back I have left space for a fort/clubhouse where they have cushions, flashlights and secret stashes of cookies, comics and treasure.

Screw the kid, I build a fort and then invite her in! Our forts aren't that elaborate - they usually consit of bed sheets over furniture and cushions inside, its still fun though...

Yes, blankets, chairs, etc. Large claw hair clips work pretty good for securing things too.

We also bought the Cranium SuperForts sets, one of the best toys we ever got. However if used weapons, they easily break, so we dont let them do it with bunches of kids, as thats typically when the whacking begins.

The like to go to the linen closet and take out every sheet and blanket we own, and drape them from any and every piece of furniture in their room. I'm sure it'll only get worse once they are old enough to have the beds bunked. And once they are strong enough to move the dressers.

Absolutely! My son loves them! He's only 18 months, but has a blast every time. We've used blankets/chairs, & foam puzzle mats. I usually put some toys inside, & play peek on the opposite side of the blanket w/him.

My husband and my kids just made one the other day. They used blankets and big card board boxes. Nothing too elaborate, but they had fun.