Question regarding Psalm 82 and “gods” with a small g?

Here is the entire psalm: A psalm of Asaph. God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the "gods":"How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked? Selah. Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the... show more Here is the entire psalm:
A psalm of Asaph. God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the "gods":"How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked? Selah. Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. "They know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken. "I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.' But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler." Rise up, O God, judge the earth, for all the nations are your inheritance.

As a Christian, I firmly believe we are all sinners in need of saving (Romans 3:23 & 6:23). I was in deep discussion with a universalist last week concerning the tenants of my faith as a believer. He believes according to this psalm that we are all somehow “gods”….which of course, is absolutely NOT true. Fellow Christians, what is your take on this particular psalm? I view it (according to various footnotes) as a meeting in heaven with God (just like in the beginning of Job) and the “gods” representing the appointed leaders of the earth.

Thanks for your input today…..be blessed.
-Primo