Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How does a K&N air filter do?

I have a 1992 nissan mini suv and i am going to buy the k&n air filter but i dont know if it going to help it on hp?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It helps with gas mileage, and eliminates the need to buy another air filter.

I put this on my new ford 4.0 ranger. I also modified the air box so it could breath better. (this is key) My mileage went up by 2 miles per gallon. As far as horse power, it is possible you will gain a very small amount if you modify the box. In my opinion it was worth the money from a long term cost point of view. Way the cost 50.00 with the miles on the car and the need to change the filter. Forget about the horsepower, no bolt on 50.00 part will help that.

• 1 decade ago

A good aftermarket air filter like a K&N (I put them in all of my vehicles) has a larger surface area than a stock air filter. This simply means less restriction so your engine can "breathe" with less effort.

Anything you can do to make it easier for your vehicle's engine is a good thing from either a performance or an mpg viewpoint.

• Sane
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No. I've installed them on several sports cars and they reduced the HP and mileage on ALL of them. Keep the stock filter and save your money.

• 1 decade ago

They are very well known as high performing filters on Jeeps off-roading conditions

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's an AIR FILTER how do you think it will do on horse power?

But, hey, it will make your waller lighter and take your time up oiling it, and if you get too much oil on it, it will mess up your car.

But, it SOUNDS cool, I guess.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.