Which of these external USB harddrives woiuld you get?

Both are 2Tb and I have the choice between the HP SimpleSave and the Western Digital MyBook Essential.

HP Simplesave: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hp-simplesave-...

WesternDigital Mybook essential: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools...

*I already have a 2 Tb HardDrive but it's almost filled up. I'm not very interested about speed but more reliability and storage.

The one I have now is the Western Digital and it has been working flawlessly.

Favorite Answer

I've used Western digital hard drives for years. Never had any real issue with them. HP are essentially Hitachi drives and they aren't very good. Seagate are actually the least reliable, although they are consistently fast.

Western digital has been in the hard drive business much longer than HP so that is the one i would go for. If you could find a Seagate external somewhere that would be brilliant. You know you can always buy an internal hard drive and an internal hard drive casing. Bit bigger than your usual external drive but cheaper and you can swap drives as you feel fit.

• Marvin

I have 3 external western digital drives.

the oldest one is about 3 years old.

The newest one is a Western Digital MyBook Essential.

All perform faultlessly all the time.

It's my understanding there are only two factories in the world making the larger drives (not the tiny ones for laptops) and they make them for all companies, so the drive itself is usually not the issue.

Personally I had the choise of making my own, buying a case and a large HD. I went with the drive that came with a very good automatic backup software. In that case I ended up with Buffalo. My advise would be similar. Choose the one with the backup software that works for you.

I have never used the HP, but I have a WD passport and have had power-related issues with it