What do you think of southern girls?

Theres a lot of steroypes about the south and i'm curious what people actually think about the south because im from there and now live in california. So what is your opinion:

Of the girls/and or boys

the people in general

and the place

id also like to debunk some sterotypes as well if i can

yeah most people from the south dont really have accents. Back in the "older days" women were tought to speak that way because it was thought that its attractive and made "the southern belle" status distinct.

i have no accent either. People are always counfused by that

Favorite Answer

Southern belles are great. I am from Arizona. After graduating from ASU, I worked in Colorado for four years as an engineer. The job market died in 2002 in Denver for engineers. So I found a job on the internet in North Florida, which is part of the "Bible Belt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

As a minority, I had concerns with extreme racism like in that movie "Mississippi Burning" or "Heart of Dixie." But in reality, that is fictional. Most modern southerners are progressive, and the old Ku Klux Klan has faded dramatically compared to the 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPOQ94khBNA

Youtube thumbnail

My biggest surprise is that I got a lot of interest from southern women. I was shocked mainly because I am Native American from a rural reservation in Arizona. But when I read the history of the south I found that it is actually common. The southerners intermarried very heavily with the Native Americans who had lived in the area hundreds of years ago: Creeks, Cherokees, Choctaws, Seminoles, etc. Most modern Cherokees look more Scottish or Irish rather than indigenous. John Wayne shows it best in his movie "The Undefeated."

The multiculturalism of the south from the Native American perspective was really surprising. I did not expect it. I have met "southern belles" at FSU. They are very nice and beautiful from Protestant families. I now go to an SEC graduate school (hint: it's off exit 384 on I-75). The southern belle in this John Wayne film falls for a Cherokee Indian. The scene shows her rejecting the advances of a Confederate officer. At the end of the movie, she rides off with someone else - a Cherokee Indian. It's historically accurate. She reminds me of a college girl I met from a Georgia sorority. There were Cherokees in the Union and the Confederacy. Factions were in different sides, and they intermarried with whites very frequently. There are modern southern belles who still like Native Americans like me. I was really surprised when I found out that reality. But now I know it's happened for hundreds of years with the Cherokees and white southerners. Most modern Cherokees look more Scottish or Irish rather than Native American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbME0K9PAw

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

http://thomaslegion.net/cherokeeindiansandtheameri...

Racism still does exist in the south, but it has faded in recent decades. The modern "deep south" is very progressive. Here is a modern "mixed-blooded" Cherokee with ancestral roots in the Carolinas and North Georgia. He brought back the Native American football tradition of Jim Thorpe and Coach Pop Warner at Carlisle Indian School.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFhW6o6qz0Q

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

• I like most of the southern girls I met.I find that people from the south are very respectful and have good morals.At least the majority of the ones I met from the south.

Most people from the South do have accents you just don't notice them because you are use to them. Obviously people in larger cities will have a more generic accent "midwestern" that you hear in the media.

Welll, Im a southern girl. In fact just about as southern as it gets.

New Orleans of course!

We dont have better morals or more religious. Were just as bitcheh as the rest of themm:D

Nothing differen in southern ppl really.

BUT where i come from its really unique and we are too:D

AND I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCENT I SOUND LIKE YOU ALL GODGODGOD

i lived in the south all my life good people alot better then in a big city and i love to hear an country womans accent

Southern girls have morals and respect than the women in Southern California.

• CJ

I'm from the south and I also now live in California, and most of the stereotypes about them are true. I dislike them, that's why I live in California now.

• yadon

Southern women! Su????? seems to think of that we are dorks and vulnerable asses? i'm uncertain i actually even comprehend what which potential. perhaps she is attempting to assert that we are clever and easy going...if so she is right!!! :)

They are generally nice people but I've noticed that they get really pissed when their fighting over the same boy

• Brina

They are a lot more nice than most people,

and I love their accents. :)