New York City, Boston, Salem weather in November?

I am a Southern Californian and for my honeymoon in November 2011, my fiance and I are planning to visit New York City, Boston, and Salem. I am very excited about our trip as we have never visited the east coast. However I am wondering, how is the weather in these places in November? Obviously I know it will be somewhat cool, but does it rain much? Any chances for snow?

• Hank
    Favorite Answer

November is a changable month. Temperatures can range from the 20s to the 70s. Boston is usually 5 - 6 degrees F colder than New York; Salem another degree or two colder still. A lot depends on what part of the month you are coming. It can always snow but because most winter storms are "nor'easter" ocean storms with easterly winds and the Atlantic has not cooled off enough yet the really bad snowstorms usually hold off until mid-December or later. In Boston it usually precipitates every 3 or 4 days throughout the year; mostly frontal showers and thunderstorms from June until September and cyclonic storm systems otherwise (although southeastern New England has experienced the season's first nor'easter just this week, about a month or so early).

Too bad you are not getting married a month earlier so you could see the spectacular New England foliage.

A couple of romantic honeymoon tips: (1) If you are renting a car instead of driving from N.Y. to Boston via I-95 all the way drive instead on I-495 through Long Island and then take the ferry. This will also allow you a day of wine tasting from Riverhead through the Long Island North Fork; the eastern USA's best wine appellation (I am assuming this would be of interest to a Californian and (2) instead of staying in Salem stay at a B&B in Rockport, at the tip of Cape Ann about 20 miles to the northeast. Rockport will remind you of Monterey, except that it is nicer. There is direct train service

to Salem from Rockport, also.

If you are not renting a car take trains as much as possible. If you think L.A. traffic is a bummer wait until you drive in N.Y.C., and Boston is even worse! Both cities have extensive local train service as well as subways, with Amtrak connecting the two, although unfortunately Boston's does

not go to downtown Lexington and Concord so if you wish to see the historic Revolutionary and Transcendendalist sites there a one day car rental will be necessary.

If you have the time consider adding a day in Providence or a day in Portland, Maine.

Another assumption about you being Californians: that you will want to eat lobster. Do not order it at a regular or fine restaurant, you will be ripped off! Go instead to a "seafood shack" sort of place.

Have a great trip.

Generally kinda chilly. You could get a spell of warm weather while you are here, but don't count on it.

I would not recommend visiting the northeast in November, I would wait till May

You are prone to large amounts of precipitation any time of year in New England or New York. However it will be more miserable in November than say June because it is that much colder

Source(s): ..