Why isn't the Confederate flag considered racist?

Article I, Section 9, Clause 4

No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in nëgrö slaves shall be passed.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_csa.as...

Why do conservatives defend racism and mask it as "heritage"?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkcIP...

Update:

@vin, great job at avoiding the question and pointing fingers. How old are you, 8?

Update 2:

@Chris P, What broke the camels back was Confederate aggression on Fort Sumter. Slavery was a big reason why the south succeeded. Slavery=BIG BUSINESS!

Update 3:

@Zanztetuken

Where do I start?

First you say some smartass joke, then you defend slavery, then you defend the actions of the Nazi Party, and then your last comment is complete and utter nonsense.

Where do I begin?

Update 4:

@Love The Beast. Falcon XB Coupe

The Confederate Constitution and the South Carolina's Declaration of succession are clearly racist?

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarse...

You understand that right?

Update 5:

"Why do you consider it racism." Clearly, the answer is because the Confederate government was founded on racism!!!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

By intelligent people, it is.

How many times are the words "slavery" or "slaveholding" used in South Carolina's secession declaration? Answer: 18.

"Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union"

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarse...

• 9 years ago

*Sigh*

First of all you question is faulty. A dyed piece of cloth cannot hold an opinion or a view...

Some people consider it a symbol of racism. I however, do not. It was the Confederate's Flag during the American Civil War. That's that. It's no different than any other flag

There were many contributing factors to the civil war. Racism was just a convenient scape goat to make the North look like the "good guys." There were many economic and political reasons as well.

I don't think anyone defends racism (well... except racists) it's wrong to discriminate based on physical appearance...

Slavery was unfortunately a necessary evil. We were a young country that was in need of cheap labor. Rome had slaves right? However, a Roman slave could legally earn citizenship and gain the right to vote. There's one of the ways we screwed up... One fact people tend to ignore is that the slaves we bought in Early America were slaves IN Africa... However, in America they were slaves *because* they were black. What's the point of saying this? No human being should be considered property, regardless of race... But racism IS an American Invention.

I digress...

The flag is a symbol of Confederacy, not racism. The same with how Nazi flags are a symbol of the german national worker's party, not the holocaust. Remember, it matters not what a flag is, but rather why it is used. For example, the swastika was used not only by the Nazi party, but was also used in Navajo and Celtic culture, buddhism, as well as a Japanese Family crest.

But as human beings, we always assign the worst possible meaning to an object.

• 9 years ago

Because it is heritage. Why do you consider it racism. If that's the case, then the entire Atlanta, Georgia police department must be racist because all there car's have a confederate flag on the front plate.

Geez.

edit: Stop cherry picking. The Civil war was a very long time ago. Not all southerners wanted slavery and many Northerners did. I suppose you'll cherry pick the Cowboys against the Indians and blame that on Conservatives. Hell, lets go all the way back. Adam? Clearly Conservative. Eve? Liberal.

• 9 years ago

Because the Civil War was fought for many reasons; abolition was merely the straw that broke the camel's back. Some of the issues that caused the war can be traced all the way back to the 2nd Continental Congress as they were debating whether or not to declare independence from Great Britain.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Many people do find it to be racist. I would say it's not a simple issue.

There are people, like die-hard Civil War reenactors for example, without a racist bone in their bodies, who genuinely do find the flag represents their heritage.

There are people, too young to remember the Civil Rights era, who genuinely feel it represents Southern heritage and don't see it as offensive.

There are people, who believe it's a symbol of rebellion, or gool-ol-boyism, or rednickism, that's too large to be pigeon-holed as racist (like the people who brought us The Dukes of Hazard).

There are people who absolutely know how the flag was flown by pro-segregationist crowds during the Civil Rights era and accept that it is a symbol that can have racial undertones.

There are people who find the flag to be racist.

• Sean
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Why isn't the American flag considered racist, they started slavery in the states before there were southern states. And to this day the government of the U.S. has financed every racist group there has ever been.

• 9 years ago

The Confederate flag is racist. Some conservative mask their racism; however just read a message board where they can be anonymous and don't feel the need to mask it. You will see real pride in their bigotry.

• Eve
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Depends on who you ask.

There are black southerners, born and bred...that would never wave a Confederate flag....now matter how proud they are of their southern heritage.

Why? Because it doesn't represent the south.... it represented the fight to keep slavery alive and well in America.

• vin
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

The North had slaves too, hot shot..read a history book.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It says of black SLAVES.

If they arnt slaves, this bill dosent apply.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.