Alison
Alison asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

What tricks does your dog(s) know?

Hey guys!

So I'm starting frisbee with my dog Koda soon, and am also thinking to work on a few new tricks with him on the way. I was wondering what unique tricks your dog knows.. or just tricks he knows.

It's been almost a year since I started to teach Koda how to do a handstand, and it takes a lot of time and patience. As well, because he's a larger breed (Siberian Husky x Labrador Retriever), it's harder for me to train him with that trick. I've taught it before to a Yorkshire Terrier, takes a lot of time but it's all worth it.

My Koda knows how to do basic obedience (sit, stay, come, lie down, wait) as well as, speak, "go get your -insert item here-", weave, walk inbetween my legs with me, paws on hips (his paws on my hips, so it looks like we're dancing, haha) and obviously fetch!

What about your dog(s), and what breed is it? Feel free to share pictures :)

Koda:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28093905@N02/

Oh yes! Koda also knows how to shake & spin too :)

& the picture of the eye and the girl near a tree is because I LOVE photography, so I try to take artistic shots. Koda tore up my camera though, so I'm saving up for a new one now :(

• leo87
    Best Answer

Omg how cool! I have a golden retriever/Husky mix! Kiko knows how to lay and roll over, he understands portuguese, that's what we speak to him, he can dance and dribble a soccer ball and he can dive in a swimming pool! ..he can't handstand though! That would be amazing!!

Kiko -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/22930788@N04/29001055...

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/CnfXZ

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

My dog Buster is 1 year old. He can sit, shake, jump, stay, come, run, and open and close doors on command. And I've also taught him to not take my food. I can set my food on the floor and tell him not to touch it or look at it, and he will look up at the ceiling and leave it alone even if I walk out of the room. And also, he's so good at being walked that my 3 year old son could walk him with no trouble at all. We live in the country and there are very few neighbors, besides I never let my son hold the leash alone.

And Buster LOVES fetch, and I actually didn't find out until a few days before his first birthday. My husband found a tennis ball when he was out for a walk and he brought it home and was bouncing it, and my dog went crazy for it. I got the ball and threw it, and I swear when he got to the ball, all I saw was a cloud of dust. And then he came trotting back to me. It was freakin awesome. :)

My 3 month old female puppy named Angel can sit, shake, and come. I'm still going to continue working on her. I train all of my dogs as much as I can, and every time I think of a new thing to train them, I do it. Pitbulls are very smart. Each trick only takes a few minutes to teach. With the exception of the door opening and closing which took a few days. But I'm a trainer, so its a little easier for me.

And all the dogs in my rescue, I train each of them as long as they're with me. It makes them more desirable for the people wanting them. :)

MY DOG'S PICS: http://www.myspace.com/491433059/photos

Source(s): I love photography also. You can look at my myspace and see all the pics and videos I made. :) They're all dog pics, but some of them are really good.

My puppy is 12 weeks old. she knows some tricks already too! She knows sit, stay, shake, up, don't touch. I can not get her to lay down for the life of me though, so I can't move on to roll over either. shes a stubborn little thing. She is a very smart puppy though, she also knows to run to the door and sit when she needs to go out, and if we say "outside" she knows to run to the door. she also knows the word "treat" (typical) and runs to the treat cabinet and waits whenever we say it. She also knows "look". We get a lot of deer in our back yard and say "Avery, look!!" whenever there are any out there so she knows to go to the window and look out. She also knows "no bite" and will start licking as soon as you say it. I think she might be the smartest puppy I have ever owned!! You should try techingn your puppy shake. Its a pretty easy one. also, dont touch. Just put a treat on the floor and say dont touch everytime she goes near it, and then say OK!! and let her have it! Good luck! Sounds like you also have one smart pup!

• Laura

My dog is a golden retriever mix. I have no idea what she is mixed with, probably whatever happened to roam into the yard.

She knows: sit, stay, down, speak, quiet, stand, come, away, dance, chase your tail, bow, shake, fetch, phone, lights, and door. She knows hand signals for all of them too. For some of the simple things, like come, sit, stay, and quiet I also have her trained to obey a whistle tune for each.

Your dog is precious and the picture quality is great!!! Good job!! My dog is a Chi/daschund mix and can sit, lay down, speak, roll over, kiss, jump and will also go get things when you tell her to. Good job on your training and good luck with the hand stand. I bet that's a hard one!! Lots of patience is needed for training.

I have a matlese who currenlt sits, lays down, stays, shakes, spins, dances, and cirlces (She walks all the way around me). I'm starting to think of a new trick to teach her as she seems to be getting good at the ones she knows.

• Vicky

All three of my dogs know how to: Sit, speak, lay down, shake with both paws, wave, touch my hand/an object with their paw, touch it with their nose, turn in a circle. One also knows how to stand up on her back legs and balance and scoot over ( while sitting) and jump over my leg/object on command. Another can also go over and she can perform her tricks in a chain ( ill say circle sit speak wave, and then she will do them all,). My third dog USED to be able to bow and jump up and put his paws on my back on command but he is too old know. He can sneeze and play dead. The others can play dead, but almost always refuse because they dont like to be submissive. They also can roll all the way over, if they WILL.

Im working on getting them to turn in a circle in the opposite direction when I say reverse. They also like to find hidden dog treats when i say find.

Daughter has a 1 yr old beagle.

He eats the cats food/water, after eating his own. Then the 18 pound cat chases him.

He gets taken out side, but won't go. Then messes on the floor inside.

He chews on boxes of bottled water, until they are exposed, and leak.

When walking, he backs away from you, until he pulls his collar off.(Catch me if you can)

He's full of tricks.

I have 2 pits. they both sit shake bump it (slang for fist bump) dances with me. My full blooded one LOVES bachata. crawl, stay even with a treat or a ball. the little one can show teeth on command. lots of stuff. they are smart