Why does everyone like Shonn Greene?

Sure I liked him at Iowa but the fact of the matter is he's NOT and WILL NOT ever be a good productive RB in the NFL. The Jets were 1st in the league in rushing right? Well guess who there leading rusher was? THOMAS JONES. Where's he? In Kansas City. Shonn Greene was injured 3! seperate times last year as a rookie. And he wasn't even the the primary running back. Do you really think he can carry the load? The guy can't catch for crap either and everyone saying he's going to have such a huge year is really starting to get me upset. O and who's backing him up? PFFT L.T.? how many yards did he have last year like 500? c'mon their running game isn't gonna be crap and neither is their offense.

Had to get that off my chest I've been holding that in for too long

eh I thought I added the O-Line in that but a player's running ability has little to nothing to deal with an offensive line. Steven Jackson is a perfect example of that therefore Thomas Jones IS the primary reason they were #1 in rushing last year.

Favorite Answer

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but the last line of your paragraph made me realize that you have little to no idea of what you're talking about. Anybody that thinks that Thomas Jones was the reason the Jets had the #1 ranked rushing attack in the NFL last year needs to do more than look at a stat sheet. Their running success was almost solely due to their superb offensive line. They did lose Alan Faneca, who was a slightly above average run blocker, but they ran the vast majority of their runs to their right side, which is still totally intact.

Shonn does have some durability issues, and has had trouble holding onto the ball last year, but he is a very promising back for a number of reasons. I can't really see how you can fault him for not being their primary running back, seeing as he was a rookie and the starter ahead of him was coming off two straight 1,000 yard seasons. He was probably the biggest reason why the Jets did as well as they did in the playoffs, and his injury in the AFC Championship Game was a big reason why they didn't go any further. And yes, he only had a little over 500 yards but like you just said he wasn't their primary runningback, and he averaged 5 yards a carry, which is very good.

He is very different from Thomas Jones but he should be just as successful. He is not as polished, durable or sure handed as Jones, but he is far more explosive and exciting. Jones was very productive as a Jet, but he only took what the offensive line gave him. He isn't fast, doesn't run guys over and doesn't make guys miss. Shonn on the other hand has the burst to run through defenders, push piles and make plays.

If he can stay healthy for 16 games he will put up some very legitimate numbers, if anything just because the Jets line is so good.

I don't know that everyone likes Greene, but I think that as much as there's a bias against the Big Ten in college football there's a bias towards them in the NFL, especially when their players have that more typical Big Ten style of running/body. Greene fits that Big Ten ideal, and many of those guys have proven themselves in the NFL. All you hear about in college football is the SEC, but in the NFL there are several teams that have rosters that basically look like the Big Ten part 2 (Cardinals, Dolphins, Titans, Bengals, Lions). And catching has not traditionally been part of the Big Ten running back resume, which anyone who knows college football knows, and the NFL still keeps snatching these guys up...I think that says something about how much they care about their ability to catch, or they think they can coach these guys up to be able to do that.

As far as injuries, haven't you noticed that pretty much every rookie gets injured? Hell, this season alone, it looks like at least half these guys got right on in a preseason game and came out injured. A rookie season tells very little about what a player is going to do. I'm not saying I think Greene is going to be successful in the NFL. College football is my area of "expertise," not the NFL. I just think it's too early to be talking about Greene's future either way.

Source(s): I'm a sports writer

How in hell is this guy overrated? He's barely on the map. However, he's going to be a pretty good back in this league. The Jets have a hell of a line up there, and Greene knows how to get it done. He had more than just one good game (no idea which one you're talking about), but he had a good game against Oakland in what was his first true game where he went over 100 and had at least a touchdown I remember. Oakland's defense is no walk in the park either. He had some key games late in the season, like against San Diego in the playoffs.

• Greene was the backup to Thomas Jones last season. he is a very hard runner and can run for big yardage. now since jones is gone, he's the clear cut starter in N.Y

nahhh greenes a wrecking ball

his hard running might get him injured but anyone can get injured right?

not bashing greene but you also realize the receivers they brought in