Sabine
Lv 5
Sabine asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Can someone please check my German?

I am writing a short note back to my husband's aunt who is German and does not speak English. If you wouldn't mind, could you please check the German translation of my note against the English to make sure it makes sense? I translated my English to German with 'Google Translate'

This is what I meant to say:

"Dear Gisela,

Your holiday sounds lovely, especially picking blueberries! We got married last December. It was a beautiful day. Thank you for your kind wishes. Have you looked at the photographs? We have some very exciting news. I am 12 weeks pregnant with our first baby! If you look at my facebook photographs you can see a picture of baby’s first ultrasound. We are both very happy.

Chantelle"

and this is the translation that google gave me:

"Liebe Gisela,

Ihr Urlaub klingt schön, vor allem Heidelbeeren pflücken! Wir heirateten im Dezember letzten Jahres. Es war ein schöner Tag. Vielen Dank für Ihre guten Wünsche. Haben Sie sich die Fotos? Wir haben einige sehr aufregende Neuigkeiten. Ich bin 12 Wochen schwanger mit unserem ersten Baby! Wenn Sie auf meine Facebook aussehen Fotografien können Sie ein Bild des Babys ersten Ultraschall zu sehen. Wir sind beide sehr glücklich.

Chantelle"

Thank you so much for anyone who answers. :D

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

especially picking blueberries! = besonders das Heidelbeerenpflücken!

Have you looked at the photographs? = Haben Sie sich die Fotos angeschaut?

If you look at my facebook photographs you can see a picture of baby’s first ultrasound. = Wenn Sie sich meine Facebook-Fotos anschauen, können Sie ein Bild vom ersten Ultraschall des Babys sehen.

The rest of the translation is correct. I'm really surprised because I've never seen an online transaltion programme actually work....

The text is written in a formal way (Sie) if you're writing to a close friend that would be weird and you would have to use "du" which would change the forms of the verbs, too. Since it's your husband's aunt I probably would write "du" because she's practically family.

The is what the text would look like with "du" instead of "Sie":

Liebe Gisela,

dein Urlaub klingt schön, vor allem das Heidelbeerenpflücken! Wir heirateten im Dezember letzten Jahres. Es war ein schöner Tag. Vielen Dank für deine guten Wünsche. Hast du dir die Fotos angeschaut? Wir haben einige sehr aufregende Neuigkeiten. Ich bin 12 Wochen schwanger mit unserem ersten Baby! Wenn du dir meine Facebook-Fotos anschaust, kannst du ein Bild vom ersten Ultraschall des Babys sehen.

Source(s): I'm German
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

My German's not fantastic, but...

Haben Sie sich die Fotos?

doesn't seem right, I'd say Haben Sie die Fotos geschaut?

And the ultrasound sentence,

Auf meine Facebook Fotografien können Sie ein Bild des Babys ersten Ultraschall zu sehen.

Congrats to you!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.