would i make a good lawyer (knowledgeable answers please)?

i'm an Econ major at UCLA w/a 3.5 GPA...i'm considering applying to law school after graduation. my reading comprehension/writing skills are good & i'm very detailed, & i have decent analytical skills. however, i don't exactly like constant arguing/debate & i don't think i'm very persuasive. I feel like being a lawyer is an interesting job though b/c i always like to learn new things & i want a challenging job...

Favorite Answer

While most of what Lucy has written is correct, I felt the need to correct her on one point. Just because an attorney doesn't see the inside of a courtroom once a week doesn't make him/her a "slimy" attorney, and one should really try not to make such generalizations. Especially coming from second hand knowledge of one area of law.

I work for three construction litigation attorneys. Because we handle multi-BILLION dollar claims, most clients are not willing to go to trial and put their commercial construction matters in the hands of a jury that could care less about the damages caused by specifications being off by .01 millimeters. 98% of what our firm does is out of a courtroom and we pride ourselves on that. That doesn't make my bosses slimy. What it does make them is VERY good at their jobs.

The more you can stay out of the courtroom, the better attorney you are and those of us actually in this profession know that. If you mediate and/or settle, you save your client thousands, and in our case, hundreds of thousands in legal fees which in the end, keeps them coming through your door. Keeping your client from the courtroom is good business.

There are many areas of law like construction law where lawsuits are filed but never make it to a courtroom. You may go to a Motions hearing once a month. Why? Because usually in smaller areas of law, you all know each other and work to stay out of the courtroom for your client's sake. I would have to say my experience is family, criminal and tort law are courtroom heavy due to the nature of the scenarios. The only time you are going to have to "fight" for your client is if your clients are actually fighting.

All other areas of law are not courtroom intensive and that has NOTHING to do with the attorney's character or ability. Law is NOT about arguing. It is about compromising and coming to the best resolution for your client. That means taking into consideration whether or not your client can afford to go to trial or hearings in the first place. There ARE areas of law you can practice in that doesn't require debating skills or persuasion. There is tax law, probate law (you go to court, but it is usually just you and a judge), and other areas called "transactional" law. Not ALL attorneys duke it out in the courtroom and that does NOT make them slimy.

Source(s): Construction litigation paralegal with first-hand knowledge - State of Texas
  • lucy

My husband who has practiced law for over 40 years in a general practice was in a courtroom on average about once a week. You need good negotiation skills, persuasive and not fear-full to fight for your client. There have been times that he told me that I might have to bail him out of jail since he needed to fight hard for his client and had a really "bad judge" who would censor him.

In family law, you have to fight the other lawyer to get the best settlement in a divorce or custody to the parent. In criminal law, you have to persuade the prosecutor/judge to either drop or reduce the charges for your client.

In social security, you must persuade the judge that you client is disabled and unable to work. It takes years to know the system of other lawyers and the judges and how to handle a case. In many cases, depending on the judge could decide if you need to get the case transferred to another county since you know the judge will rule against you.

Even if you don't like your client and think they are wrong, it is your job to get them the best outcome, since they are paying you. Also, most clients unless they get 100% of what they want, are not happy and think you should have done more.

As for lawyers never seeing the inside of a courtroom would apply most to those "slimy" lawyers that advertise for personal injury on TV, billboards, phone book. All they do is settle the majority of cases by telephone or correspondence with the adjusters and take their 33%. We had some that had to hire a law firm to do the legal work, since as my husband stated, needed a road map to find the courtroom.

Being a lawyer is challenging and very stressful. But the biggest consideration you need to consider is that if you choose to follow this direction, will you be able to find a job after graduation and passing the bar? The field is saturated since everyone wants to be a lawyer and believe that all lawyers are rich.

good luck

• WRG

The majority of lawyers seldom if ever see the inside of a courtroom. BUT they still have to train you in those skills and you have to pass the classes in law school.

you need to be persuasive to be a lawyer thats their job.