I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma extended cab. Not the extra cab. I am expecting a baby and this is my only vehicle?

until I can purchase a car much later down the road.

Everyone keeps telling me that you can NOT put a child car seat in the front seat which is where it would have to go. Is this true and if so why not? It is possible to turn off the passenger air bag.

Favorite Answer

Here is some info from Carseat.org regarding using a car seat in a truck:

"If you must install a safety seat in the front seat of a pickup truck, disable the air bag by using the air bag on-off switch. If an on-off switch is not available, you may ask NHTSA to let you have one installed. Until a switch can be installed, do not transport a rear-facing child in the front seat. Some passenger air bags will expand to cover the center seating position, so installing a safety seat in that location may be dangerous to your child. Check the vehicle owner’s manual to find out where child safety seats may be installed. Installing a safety seat in the front seat of any vehicle increases the risk of death to your child by more than 30%, so a pickup truck without a back seat is not the safest choice for transporting a child."

http://www.carseat.org/Resources/FAQs.htm

Do you still owe money on the truck? Can you do a trade for another vehicle?

You can call your local police department or fire department to talk to a car seat technician who might be able to help. The dealership can also disable the airbag if it comes down to that.

As someone who has worked in sales and finance for a large auto group, I would try to trade it in or see if you can swap cars with a family member.

Source(s): Mom to twins, work for a large auto dealer group
  • ?

tbones... of course you can take the baby home... If your only vehicle has no backseat then what are you supposed to do?

I have a Mazda Miata and there is a MARKED place to hook a car seat up to (not that I EVER would put my son in it... I drive my husband's SUV now because of that reason).... As long as there is proper hard wear to install a car seat into the vehicle then it is perfectly legal... It is NOT the safest thing to do though... If you HAVE to do it for a little while the the airbag must be turned off. If I were you I would try to trade the vehicle in.... Or maybe trade vehicles with someone in your family. My mom offered to trade vehicles with me and take the Miata and give me her 4 door coupe but I decided it wasn't necessary since my hubby had a vehicle I could use.

It is very dangerous put a baby in the front seat. In an accident your baby has a very much increased chance for death when in the front seat of a vehicle.

• Ethan

If i'm not mistaken an extended cab has a back seat. If there's a back seat this is where the car seat would go. If there's no back seat or the car seat won't fit back there, which I don't see why it wouldn't, then the car seat would go on the front passenger side of the truck but only if there are no airbags or the passenger side bag can be turned off. Read the owners manual and see what it recommends in there for car seats.

My husband has a newer Toyota Tacoma extended cab truck and we have a car seat installed in the back seat. Look in the owner's manual and it will explain how to install the car seat in the back. In our truck, there is a part of the seat that folds down to create a wider area for the car seat to sit on and be more sturdy. We had our seats installed by trained professionals and found this information in the owner's manual also.

It will be fine if the airbags are turned off or have the baby in the middle. Right now I have a F-150 and it only has front bench, we are looking into another vehicle though. As long as your child isn't placed in front of an air bag it should be fine.

• ?

Go over to car-seat.org and post this. They are experts. I had this issue, and was informed that rear facing in front is safer than ff in back. Its ok as long as they are rf. The airbag must be manually off- no sensor thingy. Check your state law- pretty sure they all say the same thing on this one. GL! Just keep rf as long as possible and no air bags!

Source(s): Eta: dont put in middle! There can be overlap from your airbag.
  • Go to you local fire or police department to see what your state laws are and to have the air bag disabled properly and the infant seat installed properly. Most states do not have a laws against but highly recommend that you do not and if you do you will still most likely be pulled over time and time again with the police telling you its not a good idea....

Good Luck

If you cant help it then you truly cant help it. I had a two seater and my son had to go in the front seat for his first few months. Just try to drive extra careful until you are able to get a better vehicle. What about the women who catch the bus and dont strap their children down at all?

I don't think the hospital will let you take the baby home if the baby is in the front seat. Some cars do have an on/off switch for the airbag, others go by weight. When my 8 yr old sits in the front it says air bag is off cause he's to light.

Source(s): mommy to 4 beautiful kids
  • if its all you have you have to use it just like you said turn off the air bag and drive extra safe be aware of your surroundings