Marcus C asked in TravelMexicoCancun · 9 years ago

when is hurricane season in the gulf of mexico?

• Jim 2
    Favorite Answer

Beware of off season hurricanes as well. Wilma killed 8 Mexicans on the Yucatan. 5 in Playa del Carmen and 1 in Cancun.

We all know what Katrina did.

They were not off season but they can occur and I have spent a lot of time at sea that I have developed a respect for Mother Nature that runs very deep.

The season is from June 1st to November 30th.Tropical cyclones with maximum sustained surface winds of less than 39 mph are called "tropical depressions"; between 39 and 74 mph are called "tropical storms", and over 74 mph are called "hurricanes."Hurricanes come in five strengths, known as the Saffir-Simpson intensity scale: Category 1: maximum sustained wind speeds of 74-95 mph. Category 2: 96-110 mph. Category 3: 111-130 mph. Category 4: 131-155 mph. Category 5: more than 155 mph. We have a warning system used by the government that tells you what you should be doing according the stage and nearness of the hurricane: Yellow be prepared , Orange alarm stage Red duck and take cover. The good news is with a hurricane we are monitoring each storm that comes out of Africa. I have been here through 5 hurricanes and we have always had at lest 3 days of warnings. Unlike a tornado or an earth quake where you have no warning. My 3 story home my restaurant and bar are one block from the beach and I have lost a small palapa roof and a broken window from a tree branch which caused water damage that has been the extent of my damage.Here all power is shut off 6 hours before it is to make land fall to insure no fires or electrocution by down wires. All beaches are closed and patrolled by the tourist police and the military. All ocean hotels are evacuated and those who do not leave the area are placed in safe hotels away from the coast. Monitor this site for the latest and most accurate information.

the hurricane season starts at june 1st and finished at november 30, greetings..

Now, typically June -October.