Is "Pyjama" an English Word??? In Hindi Pyjama means "Trouser".?

If "Pyjama" is an English word, then why the "Kurta" (a lengthy shirt) is not there in the Dictionary?

In Hindi "Kurta-Pyjama" means Lengthy shirt and trousers.

If I am not correct even in this question, views/comments are always appreciated to enable me to amend my language.

@ @ONE AND ONLY::--Thank you for a clue to clear my another doubt on Langota. Please clarify your point and clear my doubt on that also.

Favorite Answer

Several languages are involved here. The first part of the word is Urdu and means "leg" but this word also comes more remotely from the Persian language, ancestor of modern Farsi. The second part comes from the Hindi word meaning clothing. However, especially since the languages are closely related, you will often see that the whole word is either Urdu, Hindi, or Persian in origin. a pair of loose trousers tied by a drawstring around the waist; worn by men and women in some Asian countries

Pyjama \Py*ja"ma\, n. [Hind. p[=a]e-j[=a]ma, literally, leg clothing.

In India and Persia, thin loose trowsers or drawers; in Europe and America, drawers worn at night, or a kind of nightdress with legs.

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

A pyjama or a pajama is an important piece of clothing, worn by both man and woman. Normally, it is a loose and comfortable drawstring pants, made of light fabrics. However, in places like Britain and United States, the term applies to sleeping suits and consists of a loose front-buttoned jacket and a trouser. These days, pajamas or pj’s signify anything, from flamboyant beach trousers to airy boxers. More often than not, any item of male sleepwear today is synonymous to a pajama. Still, the traditional pyjamas consist of a combination of jacket and a pair of trousers alongside.

the word ‘pyjama’ traces its etymological origin to the Persian word ‘payjama’, meaning ‘leg garment’. However, it was first incorporated into English from the Hindustani language

Hindi has borrowed any number of English words, like school and match, among others and English has borrowed a number of Hindi words as well like jungle and thug. We've used these words so long, most people have no idea they weren't originally English or Hindi. this is from Wikipedia:

The word "pyjama" is a variant of "pajama" (पजामा/پاجامہ) which was incorporated into the English language during British Raj from Hindustani (the progenitor language of modern-day Urdu and Hindi). This word originally derives from the Afghan Persian word پايجامه Peyjama meaning "foot garment

I am gladt hat George remembers Hindustani (more usually Hindoostani) as I sometimes think I am the last remaining speaker. A great language for ordering the servants but perhaps lacking subtlety! English owes a great debt to Asian languages with many loan words. Going the other way, as the subcontinent did not have words for many modern inventions, one commonly hears 'bus stop; & 'vehicle defect' although the latter is only half European. 'Vehicle' originally referred to the float on which representations of gods travelled during festivals or more prosaically, the way in which a god travels in their own world.

The word originates from the Hindi word "Payjama" sometime between 1870-75.Actually it is Persian

Pay meaning leg and Jama meaning garment.It has been anglicized to Pajamas the plural being used as for trousers.For your information Kurta,a Hindi word finds a place in the English dictionary and is defined as a long-sleeved,hip-length worn by men in India.It is also defined as a sleeveless

shirt worn over or under the angiya by Muslim women in India >It is also spelt as Khurta.

Have a Nice Day.

Source(s): Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language.

Sure; pyjama was borrowed into English during the British reign in India. I guess there was no reason to borrow "kurta"

It is a Hindi word, which found its way into the English language during the British times. There are many more Indian words found in the English dictionaries.

Kurta Definition

actually in english pyjama suite was called sleeping suite in back days. but as the fashion changes these names are start giving different meanings. so just move with time and sleep without pyjamas but must keep your underwear on. now may be you will ask if underwear is called LANGOTA in hindi ?yes i will say because we used to wear langota first then underwear and then nicker(half pent) in school days. but usually LANGOTA must and underwear may be or if we can afford. otherwise. LANGOTA was doing the job. thanks.

I have heard the word "paijama" used in Bengali to refer to the night-dress like pants. And it has often left me wondering if it's an English word or an Asian word! I realise now it must be Asian, after all "pa" means "foot" and "jama" means top/jumper/shirt in Bengali.