Secrets in the Bible? "reading between the lines" etc?

I've recently finished reading Dan Brown's novel "the lost symbol" and it has a LOT of Bible reference.

I personally don't have a religion and only know the basics.

The novel touched upon the fact that nobody has ever really "understood" the Bible, they've read it but not understood it.

A phrase in the novel was "where you read Black i read White" suggesting to read in between the lines.

I may have become too obsessed with this book and believed anything it's told me however i find it really interesting!

Im not quite sure of what I am asking but if anyone has read the Bible or just parts of it and think they have an interpretation on what it means?

(I have literally only read a novel, so i may be talking rubbish... but I found this book really interesting and would like to know more about the main piece in it, the Bible)

Purely a question of interest so any answers are welcome :-)

Thank you

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Saul
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are always multiple ways to read, interpret, and decipher meanings in holy text. There is a whole field of science that focuses on understanding how people interpret and find meaning in the written word - hermeneutics. Its a pretty broad term, but the idea is that as it applies to the Bible, different schools of thought and philosophy have formed around different ways of looking at the bible.... this can range from the Dispensation doctrine to scholarly criticism to more obscure/unusual variations like the Bible code, numerology, etc.

We are creatures of patterns - we want to see shapes in clouds, hear voices in noise, etc - it's what we gravitate towards. Combine this with a yearning for more, a need to delve deeper into the feelings that religious belief can create... and yeah, people are going to come up with stuff like "if you add all the letters up in this phrase it equals x, and if you add up the letters in this name it equals x, so the two must be related!"

I put a few basic links below, if you want to do a bit of research. I think gematria is pretty fascinating stuff, for instance.

Saul

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

2 Peter 1:20-2:3 says:

...knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

Thus be careful. Dan Brown's works in particular have been easily disproved, because what he writes is (I'm hoping meant to be) well-woven fiction, not serious theology. Unfortunately, in order to maintain the illusion, he chooses not to make this distinction clear. Not many writers do, for instance, does JK Rowling preface Harry Potter by noting that what you are about to read is make-believe? Dan Brown may well be foolish not to, though since he works from a sacrad text.

One of the rules of Bible interpretation is that scripture cannot mean anything now that it didn't mean when it was written. There are prophecies that aren't obvious at surface level, but they CANNOT be interpreted without revelation from God. If you want to understand how this works, study how the Old Testament prophecies about Jesus are revealed in the New Testament via Jesus or the Holy Spirit. Note too how most of these prophecies could not be deciphered before Jesus came (which would have interfered with his coming), but their existence was useful for showing that Jesus was the prophesied Christ. Thus you should also ask what the purpose of a supposed hidden meaning is. If the only effect is to provide a sense of superiority that you have hidden knowledge, than you can pretty much be sure that the meaning is false, and not of God who values humility.

• 1 decade ago

Well, there are a few things here. the first is that Dan Brown is a fiction writer. He makes stuff up and puts it in books. He draws on real things, but changes them to suit his literary needs. it's like if I wrote a book and used dogs in it, and said they could talk. The dogs are real, but the talking isn't. It's the same here. The bible is real, but some of the stuff he says about it isn't.

The second thing is that the bible is not simply a story. A lot of the bible talks about things that we can't really understand, that have to be interpreted. And of course, different people interpret things different ways. The easiest way to find out what it's about is to read it! You definitely don't have to read the whole thing (some parts are really, REALLY boring!), but reading just a little might give you something to base an opinion on.

• goslin
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lines From The Bible

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MikeM
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There's enough in the black to keep us busy forever. Dan Brown is fiction, so I wouldn't look too much into his novels. Some fun things though.

1. The names in the Bible between Adam and Noah tell the gospel.

Adam Means "Man"

Seth means "appointed"

Enosh means "Mortal"

Kenan means "Sorrow"

Mahalalel means "The Blessed God"

Jared means "Shall come down"

Enoch means "teaching"

Methuselah means "His death shall bring"

Lamech means "the despairing"

Noah means "Rest, or comfort".

Put them together and you have: "Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow, (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the despairing) rest". There's the gospel right there.

2. The word "Torah" in Hebrew is 4 letters long (TORH) and means the law. God's name in Hebrew is "YHWH". In Genesis, if you go to the first "T" and go every 49 letters you get TORH. Same with Exodus. Leviticus doesn't do that. Numbers and Deuteronomy does it backwards. In Leviticus, if you go to the first "Y", and count every 7 letters, you get Gods' name. So, it's like this:

TORH -> TORH -> YHWH <- HROT <- HROT

Basically stating that the law points to God.

3. In Matthew 7:1 - 11, we have the Genealogy of Jesus. It has these properties in Greek (the original language):

* The number of words are divisible by 7

* The number of letters are divisible by 7

* The number of vowels are divisible by 7

* The number of words that begin with a vowel are divisible by 7

* The number of words that begin with a consonant are divisible by 7

* The number of words that occur more than once are divisible by 7

* The number of nouns are divisible by 7

* Only 7 word are not nouns

* The number of names in the genealogy are divisible by 7

* The number of male names are divisible by 7

* The number of generations are divisible by 7

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is only 1 thing hidden in the bible that people miss, and thats that all the stories and events in the bible leads to Jesus Christ or a small story of his death on the cross and his ressurection.

• 1 decade ago

its the story of God's love for the people so that He sent His only begotten Son that those who believe in HIm, should not perish but have everlasting life. No reading between the lines but read with an open mind, a believing heart and ask for insight and wisdom from the Lord to help you understand His Word.

• 1 decade ago

Its asking you to learn classical hebrew and classical greek and then read the bible in these original languages.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dan Brown writes (bad) fiction, nothing more.

There are no hidden secrets

• 1 decade ago

'I have literally only read a novel...'

Please do not let Dan Brown be your only literary guide. He's trash.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.