Why would Meg Whitman invest 104 million in her campaign for a 120 thousand dollar a year job?

There has to be something more. I just don't get it.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I ask that question of all politicians. Look at the money that was spent jut for those that were running for President. Ross Perot spent about $70 million of his own money trying to get a job that only pays $400,000 per year.

Meg is spending $104 million for a job that pays a maximum of $206,000. Even if she were governor for 8 years and never spent another penny she would only recoup 1% of that money.

It has to be about the power and prestige that comes with the job. I really do not see how anyone can care that much about the people.

Perhaps all of these people seek fame, it will either be fame or infamy.

@James,

The other woman you were thinking about is Carly Fiorina, former CEO of HP and is seeking the Senate seat currently held by Barbara Boxer.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, $104,000,000 chasing $120,000 doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for someone who had so little interest in government or the people that she didn't vote until she was 46.

I suspect that it's the fame and power that goes with being governor of California. Or the first rung up a GOP ladder for VP nominee in 2016. I don't see her being satisfied with a governorship.

• 1 decade ago

It's the power and authority. She already has a fortune, so she wanted something different on life.

Bloomberg spent around the same to be mayor of New York City. A mayor of NYC is a powerful position.

It is sad that you can buy yourself an election leaving those of humble finances unable to serve.

• Because of one word POWER! Can you imagine the POWER she would wield in DC after even one term as a Congresswoman and an ex-CEO. She would have every company and lobby beating a path to her door.

Sorry, I am not from California so I thought she was the other one trying to buy the seat in Congress. But the same still holds true as a Governor just on a smaller scale.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why did Ahhhhhnold quit Hollywood to serve UNPAID as Governor? Maybe she thinks she can beat the unions here in CA.....I doubt it but she's better than Moonbeam Brown.

• Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because politicians don't take the jobs for the money. Most are already so well of that they don't need it. You do need to spend money to win, winning candidates often spent the most money.

• John S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

She wants POWER and wants us to forget that our current Republican governor raped the state and she hasn't voted in decades.

• 1 decade ago

She feels she has the executive experience to save the state. She probably does. Did you ask this question of the Govinator?

• It's all about The Power

• CJ
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

As Governor, she can award contracts to certain companies, who would then pay her lots of money under the table. She's crooked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.