Is there bacteria in the air from dog urine?

I walked into someone's house the other day and the smell of urine was so bad that I could barely breathe. They have an older dog that can't walk so I guess the urine and waste from the dog is collected by the sleeping bag or blankets that this dog lays on. He is an older man and spends alot of time in the... show more I walked into someone's house the other day and the smell of urine was so bad that I could barely breathe.
They have an older dog that can't walk so I guess the urine and waste from the dog is collected by the sleeping bag or blankets that this dog lays on. He is an older man and spends alot of time in the basement area with his dog...eating, and sometimes sleeping in the same room. This can't be good for someone to breath in all day. It was horrible for me. I can't imagine what is in the air. Could there be a bad bacteria in the air that is harmful to a person?
Update: When the dog pees on the sleeping bag or blankets, he picks them up right away and puts them into the washer. He said he washes about 6+ loads a day, even waking up in the middle of the night to do the same. His daughter comes over every few day to clean the area, mop the floor and they carry the dog outside to the... show more When the dog pees on the sleeping bag or blankets, he picks them up right away and puts them into the washer. He said he washes about 6+ loads a day, even waking up in the middle of the night to do the same. His daughter comes over every few day to clean the area, mop the floor and they carry the dog outside to the driveway and give him a bath. He said the dog 'loves it'. His family seems to do doing good but I think that the smell may have been in a large piece of foam that he puts down first. You can wash the bedding but not the bed. I am trying to find another large piece of foam to replace his with.
Update 2: The place did not seem dirty at all, just smelled bad. I pet the dog for a bit and he was clean. The man is 78 years old, not ready for a nursing home and will not put the dog to sleep. He seems to be taking care of the dog pretty good with the helpof his daughters. I just did not want to offend anyone by saying... show more The place did not seem dirty at all, just smelled bad. I pet the dog for a bit and he was clean. The man is 78 years old, not ready for a nursing home and will not put the dog to sleep. He seems to be taking care of the dog pretty good with the helpof his daughters. I just did not want to offend anyone by saying something about the smell.