What happen in Action in Chinese Hospital and Laloma during the battle of Manila?

Guys! I need your help can someone state to me the events that happen during Filipino-american war which is the Action in chinese Hospital and La loma?please help me thanks! i really need it..:((

Update:

Is this a Filipino-american war?tnx

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

From August 1st until the morning of the 13th, the Tenth Regiment performed fully its share of outpost duty. On the 13th they received two days cooked rations and two hundred rounds of ammunition per man, and were ordered to take the position at the crossing of the Manila and Pasia roads, with the understanding that the army was to advance on the city of Manila. At 9:30 A. M. the bombardment of the fortifications of Manila was begun by the United States fleet, and at 10:30 the reserves started for the front, but, when the Tenth Regiment had advanced but a short distance beyond their entrenchments, a white flag was seen floating over Manila, and, following the beach, they entered the city via Malata and Ermita, with but little resistance.

When the command reached San Francisco it was decided that each company should be increased in numbers so as to make up the quota of one hundred and six men to a company, as required by the new army regulations. Colonel James E. Barnett and Adjutant Charles C. Crowell and one enlisted man from each company were sent back to Pennsylvania to enlist these additional troops. The required number for the Tenth Regiment was two hundred and forty-eight, and they were very readily found. But by the time they reached San Francisco the main body of the Tenth had sailed for Manila. The recruits were taken from San Francisco to Honolulu on the "Arizona," sailing on August 20, and reaching Honolulu August 27th. There they were in Camp Otis, and were drilled till November 10, when they again sailed on the "Arizona," and reached Manila Bay on November 25th. On December 2 they joined the regiment, and all were united under one name.

The regiment did guard and patrol duty in the city of Manila from the 14th of August until the 4th of February. On February 5, the Tenth Regiment was ordered to advance and capture a Chinese hospital, and after a stubborn contest the enemy was driven away and the hospital captured. In the afternoon the advance was continued and enemy driven from De la Loma Church and blockhouse. There entrenchments were built and this position was occupied until March 25th. They then began to advance north, the Tenth Regiment being on the extreme left of the Second Brigade. On March 31, after one or two engagements, they reached Malolos, where they remained until April 14, when they were ordered to Manila and thence to Cavite. On June 29 and 30 they embarked on the transport "Senator" to be mustered out of service at San Francisco, and sailed on July 1st. They came home through Japan, stopping at Nagasaki and Yokohama. Colonel A. L. Hawkins, who had greatly endeared himself to all the soldiers and to the people of Pennsylvania generally by almost a lifetime of military service, died on board the "Senator" at sea, on July 18th. His remains were brought home and interred at his home in Washington, Pennsylvania. A monument has since been erected to his memory in Schenley Park, Pittsburg. The transport "Senator" reached San Francisco Bay on August 1, and the regiment was mustered out of service at San Francisco, on August 22, 1899, after a service of sixteen months. The soldiers, on their return to Pennsylvania, were greeted with splendid receptions, not only in Pittsburgh, but in all the towns from which the members of the several companies hailed, the President of the United States, the Governor of Pennsylvania, General Merritt, General Greene and many other notables being present to welcome them when they reached Pittsburgh.

The soldiers of this regiment who hailed from our county and who were killed in battle were as follows: William E. Bunton, Company E, killed July 31, 1898; Jacob Hull, Jr., Company E, killed July 31, 1898; Jesse Noss, Company E, killed July 31, 1898; Alexander Newill, Company E, killed March 25, 1899; William H. Stillwagon, Company E, killed July 31, 1898; Lee Snyder, Company E, wounded July 31, 1898, died August 3, 1898; John Brady, Company I, killed July 31, 1898; Bert Armbrust, Company I, killed March 30, 1899; Daniel W. Stephens, Company I, killed March 29, 1899.

Those who were wounded were as follows: Company I-Richard D. Laird, Augustus C. Remaley, Archibald W. Powell, Morrison Barclay, Joseph C. Mickey, William H. Stouffer. Company E-Captain James A. Loar, John G. Thompson, Nathaniel J. Hurst, Richard G. Baer, Sylvester B. Bobbs, Charles H. Eminhizer, John A. Hennesey, Roy J. D. Knox, Howard Miner, John A. McVay, Frank J. Schachte, Christopher Siebert, George Washabaugh, William H. West. Sylvester B. Bobbs died at sea, July 22, 1899.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.