Ruger gp100 or Ruger Alaskan 454 for backpacking?

Going to be doing lots of backpacking next year and want a reliable sidearm. I like the Rugers-no doubt about it. I had my heart set on a gp-100 for a revolver but recently discovered the Alaskan 454. What an awesome gun. Had a few questions though. (Also most likely the biggest animal ill encounter is a black bear).

-Is the 45lc a good range round for practice?

-Is a snubbie "long-term" reliable? Head some mixed feelings.

Really would appreciate honest answers as this is for more than recreation. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

All of the Ruger revolvers are good reliable guns. I'd recommend the Alaskan in .454. The Hogue grips tame the recoil very well, and I find it pleasant to shoot with .45LC. The .45LC round is fine for practice, and may be all that you need for what you have planned. You can switch to the .454 if you need more power for dangerous game. You would need to adjust the sights for the difference between .45LC and .454. The Alaskan is very strong and "long term" reliable, as are the other Ruger revolvers.

Source(s): I own and shoot a Ruger Alaskan in .454 cal.

I think Michael's and Jack's suggestions are good. What kind of bears do you think you would encounter? If you are in the eastern U.S., the .357 would be okay. If you're backpacking in the west, then the .44 magnum would be better. Remember, you are backpacking, not hunting, and therefore the purpose of the weapon is for defense. Thus you need a smaller gun than a Redhawk because it would quite bulky trying to carry it in a backpack compared to a S & W .44 with a short four inch barrel or a Ruger GP-100. The .454 certainly is more powerful, but not practical for backpacking

45lc good practice round? Yep, improve your marksmanship. No, cause it ain't gonna be the same as the 454.I'd probably choose a redhawk with the 5.5 inch barrel in 44 mag or if you can find one, the 45lc. Use the latter with handloads or corbon or buffalo bore loads. 357 is kinda light for these critters.

Might do in a tight situation..but?Snubbies? If ya don't feed them ammo that ain't rated for, will last.Ruger now offers the 44

with a 4 inch barrel, i believe. Or, buy a mossberg 12 with a pistol grip.

A snubbie .454?? Yeah, you can use .45 Colt in the gun for practice. But you are really carrying much more gun than you need.

If you want a powerful snubbie, I would recommend a .44 magnum. You can use .44 Special rounds to practice with.

I find the Smith and Wesson 629 .44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel and rubber hogue grip to be the ultimate revolver for bears. It's stainless steel and its very easy to shoot for a .44.

If your worried about maybe having to shoot a bear in Alaska. The big 454 is better.

Might even look at S&W .500 mag.

I think any big bore snubby is unpleasant to shoot. But, that is me

both are great guns but i would look at a Ruger super redhawk in .44 magnum

I would go for a .44 mag for bear defense.