rachel
rachel asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 10 years ago

How to make friends with people during college?

I have no problem talking to people, but I haven't really made any connections yet. I've been really lonely. How can I turn these little conversations into friendships that actually last and I can call them up to hang out? Also, I am in a single so I don't have a roommate even to walk to meals to, but I do have a couple kids I am friends with from high school that I have been seeing a lot. I really want to branch off from them though.

• J.B.
    Favorite Answer

The best way is to be active within the college. Some ways to do this are joining a club, join fraternities or sororities, going to events sponsored by the college, sports, and volunteering.

When you have a conversation with someone, try and ask them to go out with you to a local place for a meal or something. Try to get involved with campus events. You said you don't have a roommate, but you are living on campus, aren't you? Get to know some of the people in your residence hall. Stay away from your high school friends - sometimes when people from your past are part of your present, it will create some social problems with others.

Join clubs and organizations, talk to people in your classes. You don't have to walk up to people and start talking -- start with someone you're sitting next to first and ask them about an assignment and then make small talk. Add everyone you meet to your Facebook Video Chat Rounds and say hey to them when you see them online. Chatting online is a big part of college! And it will keep you in people's minds even if your schedule is such that you won't bump into them every day. Also, don't be shy to initiate plans -- find some cool thing on campus you want to go to and ask that friendly guy in your dorm or that nice girl in your class if they're planning to go. :)

If you hit it off with someone, make plans to do something together, and not just vague 'we should hang out' plans. Try, "hey, I'd really like to have a study buddy. Want to come over tomorrow night and work on this?" or "you like that show, too? You should come watch it in my room this week!" You might try leaving your room's door open so people feel free to stop by when you're there. And join a club or two if there are any you're interested in. I made my closest friends that way. Good luck!

i totally feel your pain, i commute to a college where half the students are in dorms so i only get to see people in class and its not like i can invite myself to there room or make them hang out with me. I really need to join a club or something, but i havent yet because i work after class and cant make it to meeting. I gonna give you advice that i should be taking myself. Try to get a couple of ppl together to go to a game at night and then suggest you guys go get something to eat. or ask someone if they wanna get lunch after class. I would say joining a club is prolly your best bet tho. Good luck and hang in there.