Dd
Dd asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

About how many eggs are too much?

My dog and cats don't care for dry food, so to encourage them to eat sometimes, I like to crack a raw egg over their food. I know there is a disease dogs can get from eating eggs excessively though. The name of it escapes me now, but it can be fatal. So how much is too much?

I give them eggs very rarely, but I'd like to know for future knowledge.

No, it's not salmonella. It's something that's caused by eating too much of one of the nutrients found in eggs.

I have little control over what my pets eat. I'm not the one who pays the bills. But I do try to give them a little treat every now and again. I hardly ever give eggs though, like just a few times every few months, so I'm not worried about them catching something, I just asked this question out of CURIOSITY.

As for the "extensive research" behind dry food, in actuality, there is very little. If I had the choice I could MAKE something better than what Walmart sells.

And dry food has been proven not to control tooth gum disease like so many of the companies push. In fact, it's often the CAUSE of it.

• E-Fox
    Favorite Answer

You're talking about avidin, which is present in egg whites, and which destroys biotin in cats, not sure about dogs.

I wouldn't feed egg more than once in 2 weeks. But you may want to consider changing to wet food. It's really not much more expensive, because if you choose a nutritious brand (not the supermarket junk food), they will eat less. You can also supplement it with raw meat like I do and I save a lot of money that way. I'm actually considering going all raw, but I understand that's not acceptable to soem people.

There is really no need to feed dogs or cats dry food apart from our own convenience. I can only talk about cats, but I wouldn‘t really recommend feeding any dry food. Cats are designed to get their water from food. That's the way nature designed them, they have low thirst drive. When fed dry, they won't drink enough to compensate for the lack of moisture. They will only consume about 50% of the water they should be having. This can lead to kidney disease, UTI, crystals, blockage, renal failure and more. Especially if you have a tom, this is crucial. Male cats have a narrower urethra than female cats and are more prone to blockage from the crystals.

Free feeding also contributes to obesity. And the fact that dry food is over-processed means, that most of it’s little nutrition has been already destroyed, leaving almost no nutrients for your cat. It needs to eat more to meet it’s needs, and in the process consumes more calories from the fillers.

Btw wetting the dry food will not help. There’s bacteria on the kibble and the water would just allow it to grow.

The only way to give the cat it's natural hydration is to feed it wet food only.

But some wet foods are not of a very high quality, either. That goes for most commercial foods. Just like the dry, they are often made with cheap fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, rice etc. These are not a part of cat's natural diet (it’s an obligate carnivore – it eats meat) and they are not designed to digest it. Grain is carbohydrate which the cats can't process and it turns into blood sugar and fat, causing diabetes and obesity. In the wild, where cats only hunt for meat, diabetes and obesity are unheard of. It's us who cause these by feeding a species inappropriate food.

We usually read labels on our food, but rarely on the food for our cats. Learn to read the label and understand the ingredients. The healthiest food to feed apart from raw feeding is grain-free wet food with no by-product. Some good brands are Wellness CORE, EVO, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo Wilderness and more. These will give your cat the proper hydration and nutrition it's designed to get and it will be strong and healthy.

If you switch it's diet, do it gradually, by mixing the current food with the new one over couple of weeks until there's only the new. This will prevent diarrhea and upset stomach.

You will probably get a lot of different answers, so google feline nutrition or look at the links below, and do the research for yourself. I personally wasn't able to find one reliable source (besides the pet food industry) that would say grain is beneficial for cats or that dry is beneficial for them.

More on cat nutrition below,

Good luck!

• DBC

A few eggs a week is fine, just don't go overboard with it. But as you already stated, this is a once month type of thing; so no, what you are doing is perfectly okay.

Eggs are a great source of a number of vitamins, they can improve coat and overall health as well. The shells are also a good source of calcium, so if your dog will go for that, try feeding the entire egg.

I have not heard of a disease from eating eggs excessively, but I do know that feeding too many egg whites can cause the body to stop absorbing biotin. This shouldn't be a problem however, as feeding that amount isn't likely.

If you do increase it at anytime, just be mindful of how many you feed a week, otherwise you shouldn't have any problems. Eggs are a relatively simple food to supplement in a dog's diet.

An enzyme in raw eggs (called Avidin) interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin (Biotin). This can cause skin problems, not sure if there's a specific name for it though.

Idunno though, I've fed Raw for a long time now- and if anything, it's made their coats better. However, if Raw Eggs fed TOO OFTEN, then that can happen. Dogs should not be given any more than two eggs a week.

lol @ everyone saying Salmonella O_O

Dogs would have to eat any where from 5o-70 eggs per day for Salmonella to MAYBE occur, and if I'm not mistaken... the FDA has stated that Salmonella is not harmful to dogs.

ETA: I'm looking for what it's called.

Kendra is correct, too many eggs can cause other vitamins not to be properly absorbed. It takes an extreme amount of eggs for this to happen. I personally wouldn't feed more that one egg a day. (I probably feed more like a couple a week in meals)

Any animal that eats uncooked eggs can contract Salmonella, which is potentially fatal. It does not matter if the egg is fertilized, or anything else, raw is dangerous. Dogs and Cats are what is referred to as: Obligate Carnivores. This means that biologically, they are meant to eat almost exclusively meat. This is why they only have pointy teeth, and no flat grinding teeth. Most modern cat and dog foods are balanced nutritionally so that animals that are kept indoors can maintain health. Most of the time, you do not need to add anything to the food, unless directed to do so by your veterinarian. If your cat or dog is becoming picky, then try adding just a little warm water to some of the food, which will increase the scent, and make it a little more appetizing.

Hope this helps

a million. Are you a male male male male male male? 'reason while you're do no longer you think of instead instead instead instead instead of 'i like egg egg egg egg egg egg', that's going to be, 'i like chick chick chick chick chick' :) - the female Noobster - i like noob noob noob noob noob noob :)

All living creatures require substances that can't be got from a single source. They require carbs from rice and such grains, they require proteins from eggs and meats among other sources, and fats. They require some veggies/fruits too. Dry food has a scientifically assumed understanding of the proper amounts for optimal health on several factors such as body weight. Plus, dry food also has tooth and gum disease preventives. You need to get your dog to eat the dry food. Don't spoil them. They can't live on eggs alone. 1-2 eggs per day is pushing it.

If you're trying to come up with a diet for your dog outside of dry food please do allot of research, because there's a heaping helping of research in every bag of dry.

• my dogs got 2 a day

• I dunno, I don't think it's Salmonella. It's really not that common of a disease, as it only comes from unpasteurized or fertilized eggs, and most eggs are pasteurized now-a-days.