Wanting to prove my native American ancestory?

I have been told that my Grandpa was full blooded apache indian. He was born in Arizona and died well before I was born as my dad is in his early 80's and I am 31. just to give you an idea of the time frame I am looking at. Anyways where can I go for help in trying to find out if in fact he was a member of an apache tribe (I have seen there a few diffrent ones), this is all to confusing of where to go next. thanks in advance.

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

You start the same way as everyone does to prove their ancestry http://www.indian-affairs.org/resources/aaia_resea... before you launch into websites and get fed up because you can't find what you are looking for, or more likely don’t know what to look for, do your groundwork first.......

Look on this site, it will help you make a start in understanding the principles of researching your family history http://www.familytreefolk.co.uk/page_11010.html or www.bbc.co.uk is another good website that will give you all the information to get you started with FH.

Down load FH sheets http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/genlh/forms/ & starting with yourself fill one in. You will find the sheets act as a check list you may also find that you don't have all your own information & have to go searching in your home and asking your parents/other relations about it, look for any certificates, baptism cards, wedding invitations, newspaper clippings and any other papers which can give you information, we all have these and most are put away and forgotten about.

Look at your own birth certificate, it gives you lots of information & don’t forget to write the registration number from it down on your form, as this tells you that it is primary document information, which is what you need for every piece of information you collect, once you start researching you will notice that many people don’t have primary information numbers on their research...which shows you it is hearsay, copied from others , from websites and guesswork and there is no place in family history research for guesswork. One wrong name in your tree and it means you are not researching YOUR family and it is so easy to get it wrong without looking at documentation.

Fill a sheet in for your parents /any living relations you have, go & talk to them, ask to see any certificates they have, write all the information down they give you, just from a marriage cert you will get both names including the maternal name, where they lived, married the date, their fathers names, occupations & names of witnesses...also if the bride/ groom could read & write at that time as if there is an x in the signature box they could’t, which also then helps you later on looking at other records should you find different spelling of their name.....ask if they have any old photographs as this gets people talking and remembering other people in the family they had ‘forgotten’ about...write down any 'family stories' you are told, it is all part of your family’s history and culture....some may be correct, however many are not or have some truth in them and different people in your family will tell you different versions of the same story, you find once you start researching you can sometimes use these stories in your research for clues about where to look at records...........before you go near a website, this information give you a 'feel' for who your family is and makes it s much easier to find ancestors once you do start looking at websites

By using the family sheets it makes it very easy for other relations to see what you are doing & to understand the information you are collecting, they are more likely to help & give you more information....as most at first will say, “I don't know or I haven't got any idea about our ancestors". It is also nice to be able to give you relations a copy, as by doing this they will look at the information, talk about it and may remember more information for you or even find some paperwork that has been long forgotten. I very often leave these sheets with family & tell them to add information if they remember, the more family you ask the better, this information is first hand information, most family historians regret not having asked these questions of older family members once they realise how valuable their knowledge could have been, however many often leave it too late to ask .

The very best sources of information is in your home memories of your living relations, any documents, certificates and newspaper clippings that many people keep....you will get lots of information, start lots of interest in what you are doing and will get your family involved in helping you get started and are more likely to have correct information

If you want a computer database a free one is Brothers Keeper http://www.bkwin.net/version6.htm and you can even add photographs, print out family trees, lists or add notes/stories etc

Once you have done all this you will be more aware of who your family is, you get a ‘feel’ for who is family and who is not & websites are easier to look at then as you can cross reference the information you have...

Many will tell you www.familysearch.org or the LDS pilot website, it does have some good information, it also has lots of donated, unverified information which is completely wrong from people who have copied other‘s family trees & sent it in

Good luck in your research

First things first; find out who he was.

If your dad is enrolled then it should be easier, if he is not you'll have to find out who your gran gran is.

Then you'll have to prove, if your certain it shouldn't be hard.

you could take a DNA test.