Any good nonfiction books for ninth graders?

This summer, I was assigned to read both a fiction book and a nonfiction book. I have already read the fiction book since they are much easier to find, but now i need to move on to the nonfiction book. I would like to read something interesting for my summer reading assignment. And is Mobey Dick nonfiction or fiction?

Favorite Answer

http://nancykeane.com/rl/539.htm

# Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman-Juman

A Polish teenager escapes the Nazis and helps other Jews in the progress.

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in the Holocaust by L. Bitton-Jackson

The memoir of a teenager who was in Auschwitz.

Into Thin Air by Jan Krakauer

The story of a group of climbers, who were unexpectedly hit with a tragic storm, while climbing Mt. Everest.

In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke

The story of a Polish Catholic teenager who saves 16 Jews during WWII.

The Pigman and Me by Paul Zindel

The story of Zindel’s own “pigman” while growing up in Staten Island.

I Was a Teenage Professional Wrestler by Ted Lewin

Life and Death of Crazy Horse by Russell Freedman

Knots in my Yo-Yo String by Jerry Spinelli

Savion: My Life in Tap by Savion Glover and Bruce Weber

Lives of Extraordinary women: Rulers, Rebels (and what the neighbors thought) by Kathleen Krull and Kathryn Hewitt

(Also in this series: Lives of the Presidents, Lives of the Musicians)

Pick & Shovel Poet: The Journeys of Pascal D’Angelo by Jim Murphy

Red Scarf Girl by Jiang

Chinese Cinderella by Mah

The true story of an unwanted daughter growing up in an affluent and powerful family in Shangahi and Hong Kong.

My Life in Dog Years by Gary Paulsen

Hawk: Occupation: Skateboarder by Tony Hawk

The skateboard legend talks about his life in the sport.

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance by Jenniffer Armstrong

Maus by Art Spiegleman

Buttons Bones, and the Organ Grinders Monkey: Tales of Historical Archaeology by Meg Greene

A Child Called It: One Child’s Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer

Radsports Guides by Tracey Maurer

Series includes titles on skiing, bmx, inline skating, snowboarding, etc. Would be good for slow readers.

Phineas Gage: Gruesome but True Story about Brain Science by John Fleischman

Meltdown: A Race Against Nuclear Disaster at Three Mile Island by Wilbron

Hampton

American Islam: Growing Up Muslim in America by Richard Wormser

What it is like for a young person to be a Muslim in the United States after the World Trade Center Bombings? Muslim teens tell their stories in this new edition of a respected book.

Patrol: An American Soldier in Vietnam by Walter Dean Myers

Magnificently atmospheric collages and a moving poem by a master YA author tells of an electrifying and deeply humanizing moment that sums up the madness of war. (Picture Book.)

The DK Secret Worlds Series, especially Code Breakers and Gladiators Guts by Gary Paulsen

The real life adventures behind Hatchet. Lots of thrills and gross stuff.

Scholastic Book of World Records 2002

Reluctant readers sometimes prefer to browse in a nonlinear way.

Don’t Step on the Foul Line: Sports Superstitions by George Sullivan

October Sky by Homer Hickam

Within Reach by Mark Pfezer

Mark, at the age of sixteen, attempted to climb Mt. Everest. He was part of the infamous 1996 expedition.

The Greatest by Walter Dean Myers

The Great Fire by Jim Murphy

Tells the story of the fire that nearly burnt down the entire Chicago.

The Blizzard by Jim Murphy

Tells the story of the great blizzard of 1888 on the North East Coast of the United States. The account includes the changes that occurred historically as a result of the event.

The Sports Fan’s Ultimate Trivia Book by Bob Mann (Orca Press)

Food Rules! The Stuff You Munch, Its Crunch, Its Punch, and Why You Sometimes Lose Your Lunch by Bill Haduch.

A colorful, fun, and informative description of all aspects of nutrition, fiber, carbs, sugar and even bad breath and flatulence.

Forensic Science: Evidence, Clues and Investigation by Andrea Campbell

A lively and informative examination of the process of obtaining and examining evidence in criminal cases.

Freaky Facts about Natural Disaster and More Freaky Facts About Natural Disasters by Mary Barnes and Kathleen Duey (Aladdin)

Olympia: Warrior Athletes of Ancient Greece by David Blacklock. Illustrated by David Kennett.

Exquisite paintings and drawings tell the story of the early Olympic games in a book that draws creatively on the graphic novel style.

see http://www.oledu.0fees.net/

i hope it will help you keep using answers.yahoo.com