Is there a book that I can purchase which shows the Latin names of all the animals and plants?

(or the vast majority of them?)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I don't know if this will help. It's not a book, it's a website.

You can search for any organism by its common name and get its scientific name, or vice versa.

• 9 years ago

There are too many species to be listed in a single book. Even if you only included the majority of species and not all of them, you'd end up with a book that would probably fill an entire room just for mammals, let alone birds, insects, fish, amphibians, reptiles and all the different types of plant.

However, any decent field guide will give you the Latin names - just go into your local bookshop and check out the nature/wildlife section. You'll find lots of guides to mammals and birds and plants that list Latin names. For example, there's a pretty basic guide to British garden birds on my shelf at present which has the Latin names for all the species.

You'd just need to buy a lot of such books if you wanted to cover 'the vast majority' of world species.

• oshell
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Books which includes Mammals of Texas or Peterson instruction manual books are good components. although in case you form the difficulty-unfastened call of the animal or plant in a seek engine, you will positively discover all of those you go with. There are additionally verify Lists of species for almost any creature on earth yet you're able to need to flow to a college library to get entry to those.

• 9 years ago

Edible Plants & Animals

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jake
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The great FSM doesn't need such books:P

But I would think something from national geographic would have the info needed but i don't know how much they would cover... best to drop into a book store and check it out or try the library and see what they have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.