Holes by Louis Sachar as a 6th grade read aloud?

I'm thinking about reading Holes to my 6th graders this year as our first read aloud. It seems to be on everyone's list for middle school reads, but I haven't read it yet and don't have time before school starts. Could someone please give me a synopsis, including all spoilers, of what it's about? Thanks in advance and I choose best answer!

Favorite Answer

I was read Holes in an after school program in Elementary school (I was probably 3rd grade?) and I loved it! It is about a boy Stanley Yelnats (with the same name backwards and forwards) who gets in trouble for stealing a pair of this famous sports star's shoes. He didn't actually do it, but his family has bad luck due to a curse put on his great great great great no good dirty rotten grandfather from Latvia. So he either has to go to prison or go to a delinquent camp where they make the boys dig holes "to build character." He is in D-tent, where he meets a bunch of very different people, from Armpit to X-ray. They give him a nickname too, Caveman. One really quiet boy in the tent is named Zero, and he is picked on by everyone. He's also the fastest digger and finishes before the sun comes out in the afternoon.

Zero was homeless, and he makes a friendship with Caveman, that no one understands. Everyone is mad though, because he helps Caveman dig his hole in exchange for being taught how to read and write. There's also the Warden, who knows the true secret of why they dig holes - because she's looking for lost treasure that was once in the area.

By the end, Caveman and Zero have to run away due to circumstances, and even though the camp is in the middle of the desert they are lucky to find a mountain that contains onions (part of a earlier subplot). It turns out that Zero is part of the family that had cursed Caveman's family all those generations ago, and a part of their climb breaks the curse.

When the come back there's tension and bad things almost happen, and the climax of the story is really exciting. Of course it all ends well for the good guys and not so well for the bad guys. But the story in between is very intriguing and also has some good themes for children.

I definitely recommend you read it to them, and I don't think it would be too difficult for them, seeing as I had it read to me in school at a younger age than that.

Also, when you finish, there is a movie made from the book (and one of the most accurate movies-based-on-books, if I say so myself; they did a good job with showing the story line and the characters) that you could have the class watch too!

I hope this helps!

Source(s): some info from Wikipedia, but mostly from my memory of the book (I've read it a couple times and seen the movie at least 4 times)
  • buono

Holes Reading Level

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm thinking about reading Holes to my 6th graders this year as our first read aloud. It seems to be on everyone's list for middle school reads, but I haven't read it yet and don't have time before school starts. Could someone please give me a synopsis, including all spoilers, of...

Source(s): holes louis sachar 6th grade read aloud: https://bitly.im/4ZckA

When I was in the 6th grade we read it as read aloud. It was good we even made a project out of one of the things in the book. Stanley and Zero find this tipped over boat full of old peaches that make them sick and they called it splush I think. But we made it and ate onions with it it was very fun.

A friend of mine who read it in sixth grade said it was extremely boring. I read Tuck Everlasting it was good and we read it aloud. Another is A Day No Pigs Would Die the book made me cry.

A textbook would be a good thing to read! :D It has more than 400 pages and everything! Wonderful to read! In a month or two she can finish the textbook in no time! hmm...oh yeah theres this awesome book called "Chasing Vermeer" its by Blue Balliet. The guy who did the art on series of unfortunate events made illustration on that book. its realllly gooood book!

normally i watch a whole lot of tv but i really do love a good reserve if i enter the booklet i wont put it down and i really like that i get to use my creativeness a lot more than with a tv

1

• Ethan

So far as books which have movies, the literature aren't limited to a set time frame and therefore can get into much more depth then a feature size movie could. Sometimes movies conclude very different from the book

Sense In read 180 think fun