Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Why are Conservative much more giving to those in need than Liberals?

Except of course... Donating to their Party

--conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household (while on avg making 6% less income)

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

******* People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition. *****

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/...

@Robinnn Perhaps because the conservatives you meet don't feel the need to tell everyone how much they "care".. they just do it quietly.

Favorite Answer

It wouldn't surprise me if Conservatives felt obliged to donate money to charity. After continually voting against the interests of the poor, they probably feel guilty.

• ?

I've noticed that a large demographic of conservatives are often the ones who have more money.

I've tried to give blood several times, but my iron count was too low.

I do what I can, when I am able to. When I graduate from college and make much more money than my current minimum wage, I'll have less money sucked out of my budget to pay for my bills, and then I will most definitely give a decent sum of $50 or more at least once per month. You don't think I want to?

This past Christmas, I DID, however, give about $10 to the guys with the bells and red buckets outside of the grocery stores. I also bought several toys and donated to Toys for Tots. There are several other ways I donate, as in to various different causes for children and veterans, when I find them, I donate to my local recycling center [non-profit organization], and I always buy Girl Scout Cookies. I even give my unwanted belongings away to the cheapest thrift store in town, so that the thrift shoppers will have to pay as little as possible for it, if they want it.

Does it matter? Sure, you've got your facts. It doesn't make these conservatives you mention, or especially you, a better person than me, especially when you boast about your charity-giving as some sort of proof that I am the scum of the earth because of who I vote for.

Brag, brag, brag. What a kind person you are, turning this into a contest.

Leftists(like the ones bitterly responding here with what amounts to non-responses) vote for higher taxes and government spending to compensate and appear good because they really don't care. They lie and say they do, but they don't really.

And so they vote the way they do to ameliorate their negative feelings for being such awful homo sapiens.

Personally, I think a therapist would be cheaper and would not require coercion. Look at the responses you're getting. They're pretty crap. I'm not sure why some of these people even bothered to hit reply.

Plus, the Left has no distinction between public and private, between the voluntary and the coerced. It's kind of totalitarian in that way, blurring the distinctions.

I have Arthur Brook's book, and he smashes a few myths in that one. Have you read it or just the article?

Jesus said to beware of people who only appeared to be very religious on the street corner, who put on pretenses and pretended to be something they weren't, pretending to be better or care more than they did. Like Al Gore, who would sit around the Capitol "reading" admirable books to gain a reputation as an "intellectual", but according to his fellow Senators spent most of the time glancing around watching people. Liberal Republican Alan Simpson was one of the people who said that. Anyway, Jesus said such people already have their reward, no more is forthcoming. The accolades and pats on the back they get? That's their reward, and that's their ONLY reward for their actions. Think about that. I think that applies to this subject, and all the people who lie and say they care and that conservatives hate the poor. All those people, we see their truth from their actions, their fruits. The circle jerk they get from fellow Leftists about how caring they are? That's the only reward they're going to get. It's like a self-help group of awful people sitting around going "I'm okay, you're okay". Franken's Stuart Smalle character was based off his personal experiences justifying himself, it seems.

To Kiss me I have Swine Flu: Obviously you need a math lesson because in your example the person giving $5000 is STILL giving more. Or to put it better, if you were a guy needing money,and had a choice, which would you prefer, a millionaire to give you $5000 or a person making $50,000 to give you $100???

conservative people are selfish and only want to do well in their life which that isn’t a bad thing but some of them look down on others, only want to interact with rich, wealthy people, they don’t give money to charities because instead they invest their money into something else or buy things that they don’t need. Conservative way is like divide the country in two put all wealthy citizens in the modern state and the rest can go to hell

If you want to talk about percentages, let's talk about that 6% income differential. It seems to me that 1.9 % of a higher income might represent more actual money given than 3.5% of a lower income.

What does your independent academic say about that ?

buckeye

Because the liberals think that's the government's job.

Strangely, they also think it's the government's job to take more money from "wealthy" conservatives.

But as long as the government is doing it, they're good with it.

The figures you quote are from tax returns. Conservatives don't actually give more they are just 5 times more likely to take the tax deduction than Liberals. Liberals give to benefit someone else Conservatives use it to get a tax break. Also this study was done quite a while back the current figures show that Liberals make about 17% more than conservatives on average.

I agree. I'm a conservative and I do a lot more charity work than liberals do. I block the entrances of abortion clinics, WIC centers, and punch any girl who I see buying a condom. I care about unborn babies.

If you have a millionaire who gives $5000 to a charity and a person making $50,000 who gives $100 to a charity who is really giving more?

It's not always about the amount you give.

• NONAME

Freedom. Given a sense of integrity and quality of character, conservatives feel more free to give and be charitable. Liberals, on the other hand, need leglislation to be required for people to give. And, then they establish a quota, which makes it seem no worse than having a gun to your head.