Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 10 years ago

Do all geologists paid by oil and coal companies agree that there is no such thing as AGW?

I have seen over 10,000 of their signatures saying AGW does not exist.

If you want to see the scientists who work for the oil and coal companies you are missing the point I want to see the ones that work for oil and gas companies agree with AGW and some of you have found them.

http://www.petitionproject.org/signers_by_last_nam...

Favorite Answer

The largest association of earth scientists is the American Geophysical Union (AGU). Their position on global warming is very clear:

http://www.agu.org/sci_pol/positions/climate_chang...

"Many components of the climate system—including the temperatures of the atmosphere, land and ocean, the extent of sea ice and mountain glaciers, the sea level, the distribution of precipitation, and the length of seasons—are now changing at rates and in patterns that are not natural and are best explained by the increased atmospheric abundances of greenhouse gases and aerosols generated by human activity during the 20th century."

The AGU publishes one of the very prestigious science journals, Geophysical Research Letters (GRL). This month's GRL features a study quantifying ocean acidification. There is not one single geologist who has published research in GRL that disputes AGW. Not one.

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2010/2010GL043181...

The American Association of Petroleum Geologists, which might better represent the people you are asking about, has backed off having any position.

"Climate change is peripheral at best to our science. Moreover, the debate is becoming political rather than scientific,"

https://aapg.org/explorer/2010/01jan/president0110...

What happened at the AAPG was that prior to 2007 they maintained a position that the evidence was slight. As the evidence became overwhelming and unfavorable to the petroleum industry, the switched their position to saying they are not experts in climate (duh!).

Interestingly, they do hint at real beliefs. The AAGP's official statements are that a) geologists don't know enough about climate to comment on climate and 2) we support "the pursuit of economically viable technology to sequester carbon dioxide emissions and emissions of other gases in a continuing effort to improve our environment and enhance energy recovery."

Interesting, officially they support investing to find solutions for a problem they won't acknowlege exists. Wow, and they also claim they are not political!

http://dpa.aapg.org/gac/statements/climatechange.c...

• iceman

No, I don't believe so, although I have no doubts that big oil Elites spend millions per year to buy some no good/greedy scientists falsifying some data to their advantage, but I'm certain that there are those among scientists who genuinely either believe that Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) does not exist or aren't 100% cconvinced of its serious threat yet.

Edit: One rather interesting fact in regard to big oil and the scientific community which has almost always divided opinion in AGW type theories, is that they all agree on the exhaustion of the oil supply sometimes referred to as pick oil. They only disagree on it's timing estimated in the next 25-40 years, a difference of about 15 years, which is the closest best/worst scenario ever.

Regards.

• Nicole

I loooked into the cost of converting my van into using electric power and it will cost about $8,000. But that should be offset in a couple of years. Tires are 90% oil so you can keep your tires inflated and purchase tires that will give you higher mileage. Plastic bottles are mostly oil so take them to the recycle yards and get money back for your efforts. When you change oil, do it at home, and take the old oil to Kragen's to be recycled for free. Or make it into soap. Cut your power bills around the house. Use energy efficient light bulbs and turn off all electrical appliances when not in use. Manage your trips to the store. I go to the grocery store once a week or longer if I can stretch it. If I have to go to the doctor or clinic or have blood drawn, I combine that with everything else I have to do in town, including re-fueling the vehicles. By only driving once or twice a month I've been able to only use one tank of gas a month, and that includes emergency or necessary trips to take my roommate into town for special projects, meetings, etc. If EVERYONE limited fuel usage to the extreme, the prices at the pumps will plummet, BUT that is no excuse to use the cars MORE. If we keep watching the pumps and make sure that the prices continue to drop, by spreading these economic tips to our friends and neighbors, it will be amazing how we can transfer the money from the fat cat Oil Companies to our own pockets. Solar systems on the houses to cut energy consumption will cut fuel usage since the power companies often run on diesel generators and they use TONS of fuel. I use the fans in my house more now than ever and keep the A/C set at around 85 instead of 75. My power bill for this ENTIRE year to date is STILL under $100 total. I have a solar system but at night when the temps aren't TOO extreme I turn it off or set it for 87 so that it will not kick in. During the day I keep it as high as I can stand and when I feel too hot even then I go outside and walk the dog or get the mail and acclimate to the 100 temps outside ... and then when I go inside to an 85F house it's not so bad after all. The other day I woke up and left the A/C off until mid afternoon when it started feeling hot and I looked at the thermostat and it was 88 in the house. I didn't notice the gradual increase in temps until it got to be excessive. At night I turn the fan on next to my bed and shut off the A/C. Also, I pay all my bills online which cuts down on fuel usage as well. I use Netflix to cut down on gas going to the Video store. There are even more ways to cut costs and energy use. Your utility company will buy you a new fridge if your old one is over 18 years old or is inefficient. They recently installed a NEW A/C unit for FREE and my new A/C uses WAY less power than the old one. I AM dartagnon

• andy

No, they don't all believe that AGW is false. Then again, not all climate scientists believe that AGW exists especially the ones that retire. It is funny how many retired climate scientists that state that they had to exaggerate their results to get published and grants. It is also funny how climate scientists have to collaborate and black ball few researchers who don't agree with them. This tells me that it is more a political issue then actual true science.

I haven't seen that--do you have a link to it? I would say no, many geologists are ethical and scientifically well-informed even if they work for oil and coal companies. Others that don't may be unethical and politically motivated. You can't make generalizations.

Besides Exxon energy companies as a whole support the myth of AGW. Why because they are going to charge you more for heating oil in the cold winters we are having. And Cap and Trade is a ploy to enrich the energy companies you despise. Not "liberal" not "conservative" I am informed and while the left and the right bicker over semantics, and BS both sides in DC fleece us. AGW is another bait issue much like gay marriage, abortion, etc.

Keep playing into the shell game when you wake up without your shirt you'll maybe realize what the weather is really like.

• Noah H

Of course 'geologists' aren't heat and atmospheric physicists. I suspect that all of the MBA's that are paid by the oil and coal folks are also inclined not 'to believe'. I also suspect that all of the right wing radio dummies who pimp for these industries are inclined not to 'believe' the scientifically collected data winnowed out by climatologists and others who actually work in the field of climate physics. I'm inclined to 'believe' the data presented by thousands of scientists from hundreds of universities and government agencies from dozens of countries before I'd believe a 'geologist' or a barber or bar tender for that matter as climate isn't their field of expertise. If these 'geologists' can overturn the established laws of heat and atmospheric physics they'll be buried in Nobel Prize money...so far, not so good on their part.

They will all say they don't believe in global warming but that's just so the oil companies will get paid. If they were to admit that global warming is real they would not make any money so they have to claim that global warming does not exist in order to survive. They believe in global warming but would tell you that there is no such thing as global warming to make sure and get paid. When you try to see if a persons claim that global warming is not true you have to keep in mind rather the person will tell you that global warming is real if global warming is real or will ly in order to survive.

Oil and coal companies paid talk show hosts more.

No, not even close in fact.

A recent survey of Earth scientists found that although they were by far the smallest group acknowledging AGW, 47% of 'economic geologists' believe that humans are causing global warming.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.p...

An economic geologist is one who researches earth materials that can be used for economic and/or industrial purposes - mainly fossil fuels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_geology

Additionally, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) used to be the only professional scientific organization which denied AGW. That was until its members began to quit because of this position, so it changed to a neutral stance. The AAPG stated the reason for their change in stance was because their position of AGW denial was "not supported by a significant number of our members and prospective members."

http://www.aapg.org/explorer/president/2007/03mar....

Here's their new position.

"Although the AAPG membership is divided on the degree of influence that anthropogenic CO2 has on recent and potential global temperature increases, the AAPG believes that expansion of scientific climate research into the basic controls on climate is important."

http://dpa.aapg.org/gac/statements/climatechange.p...

As you can see, despite their livelihoods relying on fossil fuels, nowhere near 100% of petroleum geologists deny AGW. That should tell you how strong the scientific evidence is.

http://www.greenoptions.com/wiki/global-warming-an...