Anyone up for rating Historical figures? On a rating of 0-10 how do you rate these Historical figures & ->?

Their importance in American/World History whether it was in a good way or bad way?

If you don't know a Historical figure just type N/A

1) Alexander The Great

2) Abraham Lincoln

3) Elizabeth I of England

4) Maximilien Robespierre

5) Thomas Edison

6) Cleopatra

7) Jose De San Martin

8) Mother Teresa

9) Thomas Jefferson

10) Benito Mussolini

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

1) Alexander The Great - 10 Considered by many to be the best military genius of all time. He led his people of the great Macedonia. He conquered half of the known world by the time of his death at age 35. He brought enlightenment, who knows what he would have done if he had lived longer. ((I am Macedonian myself, so I may be slightly biased on this, but I don't think so))

2) Abraham Lincoln - 9 - he fought to keep the states together, abolished slavery (the Emancipation Proclamation) to the 13th amendment, Homestead Act, the Morrill Act, the National Banking Act...strong character.

3) Elizabeth I of England- 10 - The Golden Age, gifted scholar who's reign saw a widespread increase in literacy and great achievements in the art (William Shakespeare, Christopher Marlowe and Sir Walter Raleigh), expansion overseas. Explorers such as (Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh), scientific thinking (Sir Francis Bacon), great communicator, defeat of the Spanish Armada...just on and on "a woman, in what was very much a man's World, and she did this with courage, intelligence and loyalty to her friends" (www.elizabethan-era)

4, Maximilien Robespierre - 0.5 Ah, the reign of terror, Violence, mass executions, mob rule, and injustice, the slogan ""Unity, liberty, equality, and fraternity--or death"

5) Thomas Edison - 10 a man who not only created but did so with the thought of the average person in mind, making things so that anyone could afford them. He was the innovator for the first industrial research lab, developed the carbon microphone used in all telephones,the light bulb, power distribution...what he did did not involve wars, or death...but what he did propelled the nation forward and for that he deserves the 10.

6) Cleopatra - 1 - ah, the last queen of the Macedonian dynasty, though worshiped as an Egyptian God. She was only 17, and she was very bright, but also could be cruel.She married her 12 year old brother,and then 11 year old brother due to the thought a man should be with her. This led to many affairs, she convinced Caesar to kill her brother. She used torture on the people and in the end killed herself when Marc Antony (her husband) committed suicide. She had 3 children with different men. She was too young and guided by lust. She misjudged her people's love for her in the end.

7) Jose De San Martin - 9 -a military commander and national hero who played a leading role in the revolutions against Spanish rule in Argentina, Chile, and Peru. As a liberator, his glory is as great or nearly as great as that of Simón Bolívar.

8) Mother Teresa - 10 - unselfishly, and through the love of God and all people mother Teresa dedicated her life to improving the lives of the impoverished.

9) Thomas Jefferson - 8 -wrote Declaration of Independence, Drafted Virginia Statute for Religious Freedoom, was a strong supporter of education (founder of the University of Virginia), his Louisiana Purchase doubled the size of America

10) Benito Mussolini - 1 - One of key figures in the creation of Fascism which included elements of nationalism, corporatism, national syndicalism, expansionism, social progress and anti-communism. He did not hesitate laying siege to towns, using torture, and holding women and children as hostages to oblige suspects to give themselves up. His foremost priority was the subjugation of the minds of the Italian people and the use of propaganda to do so

• 9 years ago

Alexander The Great reshaped the ancient world, yet was tolerant of the conquered peoples' beliefs and religions. 10

2) Abraham Lincoln one of our greatest leaders 10

3) Elizabeth I of England ruled during a period of tolerance and enlightenment, 9, had father issues and had no heir

4) Maximilien Robespierre 5, leader of a revolution, executed by the revolution

5) Thomas Edison as an inventor, 10, as a human being, I know nothing about him

6) Cleopatra tough to separate fact from legend and just plain fiction

7) Jose De San Martin you got me with this one. never heard of him.

8) Mother Teresa 10 as a human being, but likely to have no historical impact

9) Thomas Jefferson 10 in shaping our political system

10) Benito Mussolini 1, a bad guy who associated with two other bad guys

• Luiza
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

1 is 10, 2 is 3, 3 is 7, 4 is 9, 5 is 6, 6 is 8, 7 is 4, 8 is 5, 9 is 1 and 10 is 7.

• Nicole
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

1 Simon Bolivar 3/10 very famous but just failed in battle 2 George Washington 7/10 3 Stalin 6/10 4 Julius Caesar 9/10 5 Napoleon 7/10 6 Martin Luther King - doesn't really adds up to the other poeple on the list 7 Gandhi 9/10 8 John F Kennedy very short term i guess 6/10 9 Fidel Castro 4/10 if u compare to other ppl on list 10 doesn't really belong here as most others are leaders even tho he shaped much of the western world 8/10

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

rate them in what way? Alexander the great was a great military leader rather he was good or bad. Abraham Lincoln gave blacks their freedom but didn't give them their civil rights. Elizabeth I of England was awesome. Maximilien Robespierre was straight fail and deserved to lose his head. Edison was a great inventor and scientist. Cleopatra was the last Egyptian Pharaoh. Benito Mussolini was a complete fascist

• 9 years ago

I think it is hard to do this because all people have their positives and negatives, and those change based on their historical context. Also, given that these people had different goals, I think it is difficult to compare them too much.

1. Alexander the Great (rating: 6) ... he was militaristic and autocratic, but unlike almost everyone of his era, he treated the conquered, relatively well.

2. Lincoln (rating: 8) ... yes, he freed the slaves, but history is pretty sure that he wouldn't have, if he could have preserved the nation via other means. Maybe he was trying to be pragmatic in a chaotic situation. He did end up making the right decisions to save the union, free the slaves, and had he survived, would have likely helped bring the South into the Union as equals without allowing Jim Crowism to take root.

3. Elizabeth I of England (rating: 6) ... very much like Lincoln, she came to power under difficult circumstances, but unlike Lincoln she stood bye and allowed a lot of innocent Irish to be brutally slaughtered. Again, perhaps she too was being pragmatic in an even worse situation than Lincoln (Lincoln didn't have to worry about Mexico launching a naval invasion).

4. Robespierre (rating: 4) ... like the two above ... he came to "power" in a stressful situation, and the cause to abolish the monarchy was a just one, but his primary solution was extreme. I'd like to think a better person would have found a better way out of it.

5. Thomas Edison (rating: 5) ... I believe him to be one of the most overrated people in history (and I teach physics). Was he a great inventor? ... sure ... some of the things he is credited with inventing, he actually invented and didn't steal from others... but there is also evidence that he crushed rivals and took advantage of immigrants who were gifted inventors in their own right. Those who did not submit were crushed. I give him a "5", because I'm not sure he actually killed anyone.

6. Cleopatra (rating: NA) ... a very romantic figure who was an autocratic ruler ... not sure she did anything wonderful or particularly dastardly.

7. Jose De San Martin (rating: 9) .. seems to be a very capable military commander fighting for what seems to be a just cause ... and the best part is that while his contemporaries made power grabs, he seemed to be one to do his duty, and leave the politics for the more power hungry. Sounds in many ways like a true "George Washington", though even less a politician than Washington (if that's possible, which it looks like it is).

8. Mother Teresa (rating: 9) ... I'm not sure that her life was all that privileged in Europe as a kid, but to go to a country where your religion isn't terribly welcomed, and to volunteer to work with some of the most rejected people of a society has to count for something, even if the standards of care were not the best. Some of her donors may also not have been the best people on Earth.

9. Thomas Jefferson (rating: 7) ... a great intellectual and supporter of the arts and sciences, it is hard to get away from the hypocrisy of someone who could love a slave, and have philosophical problems with slavery, but still not do more to get rid of it, while in fact having slaves of his own).

10. Benito Mussolini (rating: 1) ... I guess that he did try and get rid of the mafia in Sicily ... but not because he thought it was right, more like he didn't want to have to share power. That aside, the man threw his hat in with Fascism and Hitler, and in the end got what he deserved.

• Laredo
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

1. 8

2. 10

3. 10

4. 6

5. 10

6. 6

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8

10. 3

• 9 years ago

1)0 2)10 3)0 4)n/a 5)10 6)0 7)n/a 8)10 9)10 10)0 thanks for the survey Scooter and have a good week-end.

• 9 years ago

1=good way/2=good way/3=good way/4=bad way/5=good way/6=who cares/7=good way/8=good way/9=very good way/10=bad bad man no good.

• bored
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

1. 5

2. 8

3. 6

4. NA

5. 6

6. NA

8. NA

9. 4

10. 2

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.