How do the methane emissions of cattle compare to that of buffalo?

Trevor wrote this [see below] in another question regarding my answer, and it led me to ask this question since I'm curious if substituting buffalo for beef would help reduce methane emissions from livestock. I'm not aware of any studies regarding the methane emissions of buffalo, though. Of course... show more Trevor wrote this [see below] in another question regarding my answer, and it led me to ask this question since I'm curious if substituting buffalo for beef would help reduce methane emissions from livestock.
I'm not aware of any studies regarding the methane emissions of buffalo, though. Of course it's not simply the emissions of the individual animals that is the question, since I know that cattle and buffalo are not the same and I'm not aware of amount of meat that can be obtained from each, so I guess what I'm looking for is maybe CO2 equivalent/pound of meat comparison?
I suppose I'd also like to know if any headway is being made in reducing the methane production in cattle. I haven't heard anything about that subject in quite some time...

Here's the quote:
"As with so many things, it all comes down to the numbers involved. A solitary cow or human is going to make so little difference as to be negligible. A single head of cattle produces the equivalence of 3 tons of CO2 a year but there are 1.2 billion of these beasts roaming around the planet. Over the course of a year this adds up to nearly 4 billion tons of CO2 – call it 3 billion because some of them are calves; about 7% of human emissions of greenhouse gases."