why cant men wear hats at the dinner table?

my grandmother is always telling my cousin to take off his hat when we eat, why is it rude and why is it ok for a woman to wear one

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

They are living in the past with stupid rules that they don't have an explanation for, except to say that's how we've always done it. It really doesn't make one damn bit of difference.

• elocin
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The table is a place of meal and prayer and when you are sitting at the table enjoying a meal, it is proper that nothing be on your head except your hair. Dating all the way back to the time of Jesus, when people gathered around the table for a meal, they removed their head coverings. When a young man comes into a room and sits at a table to eat, and he takes his hat off without being asked, as a parent, it shows good manners and respect, that he was brought up with such.

• 9 years ago

Traditionally women were not required to remove their hats probably due to the fact that they were much more difficult to remove (due to ribbons, bows, flowers, and mostly because they were secured by hat pins)

I would believe that today, if a woman is wearing a baseball cap or other hat that is also worn by a man, she should remove her hat just as a man would.

• 9 years ago

It's not OK for a woman to wear a hat at the dinner table, everyone is supposed to take their hats off when they get indoors.

It's just the custom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Women wear hats when eating, most likely to show off the latest fashion.

Since men aren't into fashion they remove their hats to be more comfortable,

after all men hats actually keep their heads warm, women's hats do not.

• 9 years ago

Blocks their faces.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.