How will the green's votes go to Labor? and when?

How does it work? Ive been told that usually green's votes go to labor...

i'm not old enough to vote yet :l

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When you vote in Australia, you are voting in two different races.

First, you are voting in the Senate. In the Senate, you have a choice on how to vote. You can vote "above the line." When you vote above the line, you are adopting the voting preferences of the "group ticket" (normally a party, but sometimes a group of independents) that you voted for. The voting preferences of each group ticket are published in advance, so voters who care about the exact preferences can check in advance to see if they want to vote above the line. Alternatively, you can vote "below the line" which means that you fill out the preferences among all the Senate candidates yourself. For a multitude of reasons, the overwhelming majority of Australians vote above the line.

Second, you are voting for the House. In the House, you fill out the preferences yourself. The parties will have voting cards suggesting how you rank the preferences, but ultimately the voter makes the decision.

After all ballots have been received and sent to the proper division/state (and postal votes can be received up until thirteen days after the election), the final stages of the election begins.

In the House, once all first preference votes have been counted, the last place candidate is eliminated, and the ballots cast for that candidate are examined for their second preference. Each ballot cast for the last place candidate is assigned to their second preference. Then the new last place candidate is eliminated. Those ballots are now examined for their highest remaining prefernce (since some of them may have ranked the two eliminated candidate first and second), and assigned to that candidate. This process continues until there are only two candidates. If, at some point, the Green Party candidate is eliminated, the votes for that candidate would then be eliminated. If the voters followed the party recommendation, most of those votes would go to the Labor candidate.

In the Senate, the process is a little more complicated. Unlike in the House, where each division elects one candidate, in the Senate, each state is electing six members (two in the territories). However, each voter gets one vote. (Because of the complexity, the AEC actually uses a computer program with the full preferences from each ballot entered into the computer.) To be elected, a Senate candidate needs to meet the "quota" -- 1 vote over 1/7th in the states and 1 vote over 1/3 in the territories. The computer program tells the computer to start with the candidate with the most votes. If that candidate is over the quota (and thereby elected), the computer distributes the excess votes (calculated by giving a proportion of each vote) to the second choice of the people who voted for that candidate. This process continues until there are no candidates over the quota. At that point, the computer starts at the back of the pack and eliminates the candidate in last place. (The program allows group elimination of candidates -- for example if the 20th place candidate has 2% of the vote and the remaining candidates combined have less than 2% then all of the candidates with less than 2% would be eliminated). The votes of the eliminated candidates are then distributed to the highest remaining (not eliminated or elected) preference of the voters. This process continues with candidates being eliminated until some candidate reaches a quota and is elected. At that point, the excess from the last group of transferred votes (and only from that last group) is distributed, and the process of eliminating candidates begins again until all of the Senators are elected.

As with the House, the process of transferring Green votes to Labor would only occur if and when the last Green Senate candidate was either elected or eliminated. In some states, this will not happen as a Green candidate may actually be the last Senator elected. Furthermore, for the Senate, while Labor is ranked ahead of the Coalition on most if not all Green Group Tickets, there are other candidates on some of them ranked ahead of Labor. If those candidates have not been eliminated before the last Green candidate is eliminated or elected, the Green vote woujld go to that candidate.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

The Green's preferences usually go to Labor, as the Greens and Labor have a preference deal where they each recommend that their preferences go to the other. They make their voting recommendations on their 'how to vote' cards that their second preference go to the other.

Voters don't have to follow the recommendations, and around 85% do follow, but 15% don't.

• A Party or Independent can choose to give 'preferences' to another Party or Independent. This means that if the first person does not win the seat at election, their votes go to whoever they have specified as their 'preference'.

It's a bit like a group trying to elect a Chairman, and one person says :- "If I don't win, I'll give all my votes to Fred".

This process can go on for a a long time, with each losing candidate's preferences going to another person, when then, as a losing candidate, passes on those as 'second preferences' and so on, until eventually every vote - no matter who the voter voted for in the first place, ends up as in the hands of the winning candidate, or the runner-up losing candidate, or as a single vote where no preferences were given.

It essentially means that your vote, unless you are fully in the know about preferences, can end up with a completely different person form the one you voted for.

You can either see this as the workings of our type of democracy, or as plain wrong. I see it as plain wrong - when I vote for a person - I did not vote for his/her distant cousin or drinking mate or whatever who is standing as well.

• 9 years ago

A lot of talking is going to be done and deals made. When is another story. The sooner the better. Have a look at what has just happened in the UK, that should give you a better idea about what the greens will get up too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

you can easily take about this .this is not difficult this is so easy if you have some important tricks and do some little work you can famous in your friends.

some important tips i placed in this page if you want more info visit in my site in which i placed thousand of answer and articles which is very useful for every one

according to yous question you think this is difficult but no work is difficult it have some basic tricks which you need for doing or solving this meter

firstly you own thinking about this then this is no problem for you .

this is not a big problem.

if you think about this then you can carry this as a target.there are many sits or articles which is about your question.

some give and take solution about all of this.

i seditious a complete site which is very useful for you .so visit now and search thousand of answers about your question.

for more info visit

selecttrends4us.blogspot.com

Source(s): selecttrends4us.blogspot.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.