Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

leslie asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog ate chocolate, its 11 pm and the vets are closed, what do i do?

My husband and i went out to eat and i completely forgot about my m&ms on my dresser. My dog got to them, maybe about 8 or 9 M&M's with peanuts. She is a 5 month old siberian husky and is always hyper and running around, and panting, and weighs about 28 lbs. Do i have to worry about her?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The toxic dose will vary from dog to dog, depending on a number of factors such as the weight of the dog and his or her metabolism level. The problem with chocolate is that it contains a substance known as theobromine, and this substance is toxic to dogs. This substance is part of the xanthnine compound, the same family that contains caffeine and theophylline.

    The good news is that it generally takes quite a substantial amount of chocolate to do the dog any harm. In general the toxic level of theobromine is between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. It is important, of course to keep in mind that dogs will vary in their sensitivity to the compound, so it is still important to keep any and all chocolate in the house out of Fido’s reach.

    So how much does it take to show toxic effects in the typical dog. Listed below are some common types of chocolate, and the average toxic dose. Dogs that consume this much should be immediately taken to a veterinarian for evaluation.

    The average toxic dose of white chocolate is 200 ounces per pound of body weight. This means it would take approximately 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause clinical signs of poisoning for a 20 pound dog, and 125 pounds for a 10 pound dog. Luckily, few if any dogs will be able to consume this much.

    The toxic dose of milk chocolate is quite a bit lower, since milk chocolate contains a lot more of the troublesome chemical. The average toxic dose of milk chocolate is just one ounce per pound of body weight, meaning that a 10 pound dog may show clinical signs of poisoning after eating just 10 ounces. So if your dog just scarfed down that six pack of candy bars a trip to the vet may be in order. The toxic level of semi-sweet chocolate is similar to that of milk chocolate, so these treats should definitely be kept out of reach.

    Sweet cocoa can be even more dangerous to man’s best friend, with a toxicity level of just 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. That means it can take just a third of a pound to cause toxic effects to a 20 pound dog, and just half that for a 10 pound canine.

    Baking chocolate is the most dangerous of all, with a toxic level of a mere 0.1 ounce per pound of body weight. The dog that gets into the baking chocolate should be seen by a veterinarian immediately, since toxic effects can occur at just one ounce for a 10 pound dog.

    Those pet owners concerned that their dog has swallowed a toxic amount of chocolate should be on the lookout for the clinical signs of chocolate toxicity. It is important to carefully monitor the dog, since it can be difficult to determine how much chocolate was consumed.

    The clinical signs dog owners should watch for include:

    •Excitability

    •Irritability

    •Increase in heart rate

    •Increased urination

    •Restlessness

    •Vomiting

    •Diarrhea

    •Muscle tremors

    It is also important for dog owners to have an emergency kit on hand, and to make sure that the emergency kit contains activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is a fine powder that has the ability to bind to many different kinds of poisons, making it an essential part of any pet emergency kit.

    Those pet owners who suspect that their dog has eaten a toxic amount should be on the lookout for any of the clinical signs shown above, and if poisoning is suspected the vet should be contacted immediately. Only a veterinarian can determine the best course of action in the event of chocolate toxicity.

    Before contacting the vet it is important to gather as much information as possible, including the type of chocolate consumed, the suspected amount and how much time has passed since ingestion. This information will help the vet determine the best type of treatment.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    No, even with 70% dark, a single bar will do nothing in a dog that large. Do CALL your vet, though and ask the same question: you'll feel better about it. And remember, grain alcolhol is toxic to humans but we can sure drink a lot of beer without dying. Chocolate is only mildly toxic to dogs.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Milk chocolate is nowhere near as dangerous for a dog as unsweetened baker's chocolate. I mean, you wouldn't want to feed your dog Oreo cookies as a snack, but a few M&Ms won't likely warrant a vet visit. I had a friend once whose Yorkie ate an entire chocolate silk pie off the counter during a dinner party. She didn't even so much as vomit. But every dog is different. Just keep an eye on her. Chances are if she hasn't thrown up, had diarrhea, become severely lethargic or had convulsions she's fine.

  • Kati W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    In my opinion, 8 M&M's for a Siberian Husky isn't going to be to harmful. If your puppy got poisoned she would within a few hours diarrhea, vomiting and hyper activity. I will post a link in the "source" section with more symptoms and info on chocolate poisoning.

    Is she acting any different than usual? How long as it been since she ate them?

    I think that more than likely she will probably be ok. If she starts acting sick than you will need to take her to an emergency Vet, you can look in the phone book to find them.

    Good Luck!

    Source(s): http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocol... This link as a bunch of info on chocolate poisoning. Some more of the symtoms are: As I said before within the first few hours there is, vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity. As more time passes, there will be an increase in heart rate, which will cause, arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting. This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gary C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    If she only ate 8 or 9 peanut M&Ms, that's not enough to poison a siberian husky.

    She may or may not get some gastric upset (vomiting, diarrhea), but the consequences are not likely to be any worse than that.

  • 1 decade ago

    My 22lb American Eskimo once ate a BIG box of chocolates and she was fine except for some vomiting. All of my dogs have had small amounts of chocolate without problems. I don't feed it to them intentionally, they just get into things. Your dog should be fine, I wouldn't worry. I think it would take a lot more than that.

    You do have to be vigilant about a new sweetener called Xylitol though. Two pieces of gum sweetened with Xylitol will shut a dog's liver down within 30 minutes. I read this from a vet report and then I googled it, and there are many sad cases of it happening. One lady's dog ate a piece of cake from her garbage can that was sweetened with Xylitol and died.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, but not because of the Chocolate.

    You need to put some weight on that Dog. 28 pounds for a Siberian is about 10-15 pounds underweight.

    Unless it's a Mix.

  • *****
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    8 or 9 M & Ms is not nearly enough to hurt a 28 pound dog. She will be just fine.

  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Your dog should be fine. It needs to be in large amounts to do any harm. Chocolate elevates their heart rate which can cause a heart attack. Just watch for a rapid heart rate or any other signs associated with a heart attack. 8-9 M&Ms with peanuts is not enough to kill your dog.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If she ends up sick I would be take a vet visit in the morning. As of now I personally would not be to concerned. My mini-schnauzer i used to have got a hold of a full size chocolate easter bunny when I was little and ate it all, including the foil wrapper, and he was fine (no he did not pass from the chocolate, he lived to the age of 14 and was put down due to a very severe heart murmur).

  • TM1070
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    your dog is going to be fine. I used to work for a vet and he told me it takes a large amount of 'pure', unprocessed chocolate for it to be harmful to your dog. One of my dogs got a hold of one of those large valentine heart boxes that was filled with chocolate. He ate everyone of them, including the wrappers. The dog was fine, never even threw up and that was a lot of chocolate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.