Mormons: Did Jesus or the NT promote to follow Living Prophets, or did He point to the Word: "IT IS WRITTEN!"?

@sam c bender..re: Eph 2:20 in context helps. In 2:8-9, you read salvation to all which, brings together Jew & Gentile to be one body or building in Christ.

Yes,(v20) the foundation was the prophets (OT) & apostles, Jesus being the chief cornerstone ...I dont see a promotion of prophets, only the chief cornerstone .....who is above all

@One Tin Solder...I agree, KJV onlyism is unwise. and yes, "adding things" is inevitible, though unwise as well.

but how are the Jews accusing Christians of (what)???...multiple prophets? ..or in that they dont accept Jesus as messiah . They certainly dont consider Jesus a living prophet, much less others since then.

@jp....The point I see with Jesus example of "it is written" is the example of all the offices in Eph 4:11 were to turn to scripture as the basis for authority, both what was written up to that time as well as what was to be recorded by His diciples (apostles) & Paul as well.

Prophets in the OT Foretold....and if they erred or just lied, they were stoned

my point? have recent living 'prophets' made errors or lied? .

I agree w/ Publius and john mccain that there will be visions, dreams, etc in the last days, What concerns me is alleged living prophets that are not in alignment with known scripture

If there is to be "church guidance" , shouldnt it conform to what was written up and through Revelation? Can one declare himself to be a living prophet and like judge Walker, overturn all known scripture at points it deems not correctly translated?

@jp...if "Living prophets must most certainly be held accountable to the written word.", can you explain the complete rejection of known revalation & scripture at the behest of one man, and entirely re-defines "GOD"? (Pearl of Great PriceCh2 vs 1-23, Teachings of Joseph Smith p345, cf Journal of Dis. vol VI p3, Doc& Cov sec 130:22)

Would not this person be subject to known scripture? Would not a re-write on who Jesus Christ is subject this person to being a false prophet?

@sen mccain...I agree, "why would he stop"? however, do we ignor tests for prophets, or teachers, or pastors? If I taught my students that Abraham Lincoln was the 1st president, and all the other guys before we dont have anything to do with them, would that be honest? LDS recognises other gods before Adam, but does not have anything to do with them, ...same comparison, is it not?

Favorite Answer

After the death, resurrection of Christ, and the day of Pentecost; the NT as we know it had not been compiled yet. That won't happen till 325 AD at the counsel of Nicea. So what did the early Christians use as scriptures?

Acts 8:

v28 "Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Isaiah the prophet."

v30 "And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Isaiah, and said, understand thou what thou readest?"

v32 "The place of the scripture which he read was this. He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth."

v35 "Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus." Read all of Acts 8:27-39.

All that is written in the NT stands on the foundation of the OT. The OT is the NT concealed, and the NT is the OT revealed. You'll read many passages that say: "Thus it is spoken by the prophet; it is written; this is that which was written; it is written in the law; how readeth thou; I have not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill.

Thus, the OT was the only Bible the Apostles had besides the letters (epistles) that were being written to help explain how Christ's fulfillment of the law works in the NT Church.

The NT prophets are mentioned in: Eph. 4:11; and ICor. 12:28. These "prophet" prophesied inside the boundary of "it is written." To confirm the changes in the covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34; fulfilled in Hebrews 8:7-13) that was made in the NT.

When talking about "living prophets" and the LDS Church; the question is: Can true prophets go outside the boundary into uncharted waters, (stuff that can't be confirmed by OT prophets) and tell us "new" revelations that aren't covered by either the OT or the NT?

This is where I believe the LDS living prophets have crossed into what the Bible calls: "false prophets and teachers." Because they didn't build on any known foundation, but created a brand new one that can't be validated by the previous. Islam has the same problem, as do the teachings of the Watchtower.

REVELATION: Does not mean you make up a brand new one: It means you "confirm" what God has validated through the old. (Notice how the book of Revelation vaildates many passages in the book of Daniel?)

ALL true prophets MUST be held accountable to: "IT IS WRITTEN!"

Edit: Along with this question and post, let me say a word on the issue of "open' vs "closed" canon. This link goes deeper into this topic that I can't write out here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Av2i2... You can look up my post on this Q/A to get my take.

The main scriptures that support "closed" canon are: Deut. 4:2; 12:32; Prov.30:6 and Rev. 22:18-19. The Bible starts with the five books of Moses. What's Moses qualifications for being a prophet? Unlike Joe Smith's "I saw..You believe me, don't you?" Moses proved his prophethood by; signs & wonders, miracles, judgments against Pharaoh, and the dividing of the red sea. This is the first mark of a prophet that is authorized to lay a foundation of truth. All the following books of the Bible are laid on this foundation. Then comes the books of the prophets that add depth of meaning and clarity to the Messiah or the prophet (see Deut. 18:15; fulfilled in John 1:45, and Acts 3:22) that Moses said was to come. For Jesus to be "like unto me {Moses v15} it behooved Christ to walk in a supernatural power second to none of Moses: "For no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him." John 3:2b.

For Joseph Smith to have a revelation to change all of this, I must ask: Where are your supernatural/signs & wonders credentials? Same Q to Muhammad, and C.T. Russell.

Prediction: This issue of changing past revelation with unsupported/ never heard of/ brand new revelation is going to be such a hot-button topic in the near future that when the coming NWO ruler stands up with his "new revelation" (i.e. one world religion) that people will be so educated on Deut. 4:2, 12:32; Prov. 30:6; and Rev. 22:18-19 (Jews, Christians, and I hope Muslims too) that NO ONE will buy it unless he can prove it. So he calls fire down from heaven in the sight of all men; Rev. 13:13,14, and deceives the people that don't know that the Bible said he would do this.

1st Foundation: The five books of Moses... Do not add to his words: Deut, 4:2. 12:32. (Tells of the coming Messiah)

The Prophets: Do not add to their words... Proverbs 30:6 (Tells of the work and ministry of the Messiah)

The New Testament: Fulfillment of the testimony of the above two witnesses...Do not add to this word; Rev. 22:18-19.

The Bible is a "closed canon."

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone." Eph. 2:20. Joe's testimony: I saw, therefore you must believe me.. Does not qualify him to change the "faith that was once delivered to the saints. (Jude v3)

Of course Jesus had his chance when he prophesied that false prophets would come - he could have said then and there that the ancient belief in prophets and revelation was at an end and that there would be no more prophets. Instead he taught us how to tell a false prophet from a true prophet. Either Jesus was disengenuous, or there would be more prophets in our future. It is also interesting that he acknowledged that John the Baptist was a prophet, although they were contemporaries, and that Peter knew he was the Christ through prayer. It is also said that Jesus grew from grace to grace. He didn't have a fulness at first, but learned from his father. He oft quoted the scriptures - even ones that didn't make it into our modern bible, believing in revelation from God. There is no evidence that he expected that revelation, the source of scriptural inspiration, would ever become secondary to the scriptures themselves. The scriptures are sacred because of revelation, not the other way aroundl.

so which you have the bible... what number denominations even have the bible? Why do no longer all of them have an analogous doctrines and ideology? I trust you that Jesus is a residing prophet. How then...do you recognize what Jesus would choose His church to do without a prophet. in case you declare that Jesus is a prophet...than easily He could communicate and lead like a prophet. Peter acted because of the fact the supervisor apostle/prophet after Christ's ascension. He gained revelation on behalf of the church. it relatively is the trend regularly occurring interior the bible. i'd say that if a church would not have this at present....they are not quite set up an analogous in accordance to the classes got here upon interior the bible. The previous testomony taught.. "extremely our lord god will do no longer something, yet he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." Amos 3:7 the recent testomony taught..."And God hath set some interior the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly instructors, after that miracles, then presents of healings, enables, governments, diversities of tongues." a million Cor. 12: 28-29 It sounds like the bible is enormously sparkling that the Lord makes use of prophets to coach His toddlers. The e book of Mormon acts as a 2d witness to the bible. The bible teaches that "interior the mouth of two or 3 witnesses each observe may well be regularly occurring." Matt 18:sixteen (comparable significant interior the O.T.) In appearing as a 2d witness to the bible, the e book of Mormon clarifies lots of the confusion huge-unfold between the a number of Christian denominations at present. Like is baptism needed, who will resurrect, is there 3 in one or a million in 3..... various the doctrines you will declare to be difficulty-unfastened are the main puzzling between the a number of sects.

• j p

He did say "It is written" he also said "by their fruits ye shall know them" and to Peter "I give unto you the keys to the kingdom".

If Jesus didn't promote following living men then Peter is in trouble and so is Paul because Paul wrote

Ephesians 4:11-13

"And he [Jesus] gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:"

Pointing out "it is written" as an argument for a closed cannon not only disagrees with the bible (as pointed out above) but it would also invalidate the entire New Testament because at the time it [the New Testament] was not written.

edit:

Living prophets must most certainly be held accountable to the written word.

They don't much care for the old ways of Jesus:

THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS

OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

SECTION 22

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Manchester, New York, April 1830. HC 1: 79–80. This revelation was given to the Church in consequence of some who had previously been baptized desiring to unite with the Church without rebaptism.

1, Baptism is a new and everlasting covenant; 2–4, Authoritative baptism is required.

1 Behold, I say unto you that all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing; and this is a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.

2 Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works.

3 For it is because of your dead works that I have caused this last covenant and this church to be built up unto me, even as in days of old.

4 Wherefore, enter ye in at the gate, as I have commanded, and seek not to counsel your God. Amen.

• da d

He said "It is written" rather than to follow prophets. What does Hebrews 1 say about the plan? It says that in the past, God used prophets but what does God do today?

Amos 3:7 (in OT), Hebrews 13:8 (in NT) and Ephesians 2:20, 4:11 (in NT). Sounds very important to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints if that's how God --our Heavenly Father-- really wanted the religion of His Son, Jesus Christ, to be organized and lead.

Source(s): 1) being of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2) http://www.mormon.org and http://www.lds.org

You do know that they Jewish faith accuses the Christian religion in general of the EXACT SAME THING that you are accusing the Mormons of, don't you?

Adding to articles of religious faith is inevitable, including lame "King James Onlyism" and "scripture alone" (niether of which can be supported by the text of the Bible in any way shape or form)

Source(s): Perception is NOT reality

By choosing apostles he was making a group of leaders for the church. By appearing to S(P)aul and giving visions to him and Peter and John he was establishing a way of guiding the church after he left. Why would he stop?

There WERE prophets in the New Testament.

There is nothing in the Bible that says anything about THE BIBLE.