Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIndiaChennai · 10 years ago

How did this tamil - hindi divide come into place,what made hindi not being taught and spoken in Tamil Nadu?

I'm from Tamil Nadu and I dont know hindi and usually I'm criticized by people from North for not knowing hindi.But I always say that its not the language spoken here,so I dont have the scope to know that language.Whenever I ask some of my fellow tamils, some of them say that we have to learn two languages - tamil and english and if we were to learn hindi it makes it 3 and making them learning three languages would be quite difficult,whereas people in the north learn hindi and english which makes it only two languages .But if thats the case,what about the state of Andhra Pradesh,people there seem to know hindi,telengu as well as English

Can anyone throw some light into this

LOL at y factor, as you see, light could also mean sunlight..lol

Favorite Answer

There is nothing to feel inferior about not knowing Hindi.

This goes to the pre-independence era where Rajaji (a Brahmin) was a staunch supporter of the introduction of Hindi as a medium of instruction in TN schools.

Periyar, a visionary, was of the opinion that English was the way to prosperity and to rescue the downtrodden from vicious circle of poverty and religious superstitions. Hence he opposed Hindi, and advocated implementation of English instead.

His supporters like M Karunanidhi, and others lent their voice, as their bread (they were full-time politicians unlike Periyar) depended on TN vote bank.

Now, the quality of English is a critical factor why MNCs open their BPOs mostly in southern states.

Of course for defence and other military purposes, Hindi could still be used, but remember that the South is still in a much more prosperous condition than the North, and once we even raised the issue of autonomy for TN, if not full secession from the Indian Union.

If at all people from North criticize your not knowing Hindi, it is due to their inherent bias.

Tamizh is a classical language, which can trace its roots to periods earlier than other contemporary Indian languages like Hindi. The quality of literature produced by Tamizhs is of such superior quality that it is renowned and is taught in universities worldwide. It is even part of the elite set of languages in which text is sent on a spacecraft in search of extra terrestrial life. This is not so in the case of any Northern language, including Hindi.

As regards people of AP, it is their geographical proximity to other Northern states, and due to which population migration happens both ways, they could know more than 2 languages. For Tamizhs, there is absolutely no inhibition in learning Hindi as a third language, but that is what it will continue to be, a third language. Tamizh language is too sacrosanct to be infected by other languages.

to resist instead of accepting everything that was thrown to them. Why should everyone learn Hindi leaving their language. All the states were like countries on their own before British Rule. The way it was United as a one country doesn't mean rest of the country to take whatever it shoved on to them.

Learning Hindi has nothing to do with Patriotism or Culture. I was raised in Chennai. To me anything other than Tamil was foreign. I could relate to the other South Indian Languages but definitely not to any North Indian Language. If I had to learn a Foreign Language, I'd choose English over Hindi bcos of obvious reasons.

Before India was formed by British there were lot of kingdoms ruling the Indian sub continent. South India was being ruled by it's native people for many thousands years. No one knew that there was a language called Hindi.Tamil has been the language of the people of this region for tens of thousands years. It has been the official language in the south before the British. The oldest Tamil literature found is 2300 years old. So just imagine how many years a language must have been before it evolved a repertoire,

We have our own language for communication within the territory where we have been living for tens of thousand years. We have English to communicate with rest of the world. Why do we, the Tamils need Hindi? Do we impose Tamil on Hindi people?

It's very sad to see that many languages in north & central India were destroyed by Hindi imposition. I understand that Urdu has been the spoken language & official language of the present Delhi region for many many years and it usage remained even during British time. Urdu became Hindi after it was written in Sanskrit scripts. Sanskrit was dead and buried long long time ago.The Hindian rulers waste the revenue which is collected from various languages speaking people to impose Hindi on others. This is terrorism.

Source(s): The people who want to tell the world about the Hindi imposition and destruction of mother tongue are already surrounded by the Hindi army. Only one way is left. People of India whose mother tong is not Hindi is around 75% (According to census). There are lot of migrants like us from these voiceless people around the world. it's time to organise a campaign to raise our voice against the Hindi usage and avoidance of our mother tongue in our historical mother land.

Well..i knew nothing of this until i read some of the answers here.But all i could is the passion the poster Ask Manoj has! I always had this thingy to say Tamizh rather than tamil...yo man! I wish everyone did that way! This should be posted as a new question Tamizh or tamil?

May be Tamizh is an ancient and a classical language...but does it have any scope for growth?

Do not get me wrong if i mean to say having science and technology text books translated in Tamizh.Each day you can see new words,catchy phrases coming up in English but what about our language? Movies might help but thats not enough.

By the way, English is a lovely language that unite the North and South,East and West.

Till 1964, hindi was also taught in schools. In that year, a students agitation was launched against imposition of Hindi in Tamilnadu. The then prime minister of India promised in the Parliament that till people of Tamilnadu accept Hindi as their official language, Hindi would not be made their official language. Thus, English became the language of communication. As the other southern states followed three language formula, the students of these states learn Hindi in addition to their local language and English whereas students of Tamilnadu learn Tamil and English only. But there is three language system in northern states too. In Uttar Pradesh, Tamil is the third language.

• Mano S5 years agoReport

I love tamil. However, if my school has a third language option I would have learnt Hindi as it is my second wanted to learn language. i will
      Definitely learn sometime.

People in Tamil Nadu had a backbone to resist instead of accepting everything that was thrown to them. Why should everyone learn Hindi leaving their language. All the states were like countries on their own before British Rule. The way it was United as a one country doesn't mean rest of the country to take whatever it shoved on to them.

Another reason why Tamil is still intact whereas a large part of North Indian is forgetting their native language. I personally know many Punjabis, Marathis and Bhojpuris who cannot speak their language.

Is it really comforting to see that Hindi destroyed my culture and language instead of English.

• Amit

It's only Tamil Nadu which seems to have this problem. You're right, most of the people from Andhra can speak Hindi, as can those from other southern states.

Perhaps it all started with anti-Hindi agitations in Tamil Nadu. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Hindi_agitations...

If anyone criticizes you for not knowing Hindi, just ignore them for there are too many idiots here in India. But it would be good for your career if you learn Hindi for it's spoken almost all over the country.

Actually people in the north too have their vernaculars, with an exception of Delhi & most of UP.

Its all depend on Place to Place. Yaah you are right its hard to communicate with locals in North India if you don't know Hindi. As Delhi We have a choice when give exam you can take two language or more but English is compulsory. You also have a choice in secondary language you can take any subject Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit as a secondary language, As we all know that our Education system is very old its need some change. I think Education board which is controlling this system should allow or give freedom to students so they can choose their second language whether its Hindi, English or any other Language

all coz of vote bank politics... it was dmk who abolished hindi in tn.. look at other state guys.. dey noe atleast 3 languages.. mallus noe malayalam tamil hindi eng, kannda guys noe kannada hindi eng.. oly tamils noe tamil eng

There is nothing to feel proud of knowing Hindi. It is just another language spoken by some northern states of India. You should know the fact most people from that states are illiterates. The respective governments instead of making them literates, try to teach Hindi to other language people. In these modern age learning English is the only way. Moreover it is right time Hindi people should learn south Indian languages, because most of them are coming south for their livelihood.