How did this tamil - hindi divide come into place,what made hindi not being taught and spoken in Tamil Nadu?

I'm from Tamil Nadu and I dont know hindi and usually I'm criticized by people from North for not knowing hindi.But I always say that its not the language spoken here,so I dont have the scope to know that language.Whenever I ask some of my fellow tamils, some of them say that we have to learn two languages... show more I'm from Tamil Nadu and I dont know hindi and usually I'm criticized by people from North for not knowing hindi.But I always say that its not the language spoken here,so I dont have the scope to know that language.Whenever I ask some of my fellow tamils, some of them say that we have to learn two languages - tamil and english and if we were to learn hindi it makes it 3 and making them learning three languages would be quite difficult,whereas people in the north learn hindi and english which makes it only two languages .But if thats the case,what about the state of Andhra Pradesh,people there seem to know hindi,telengu as well as English

Can anyone throw some light into this
Update: LOL at y factor, as you see, light could also mean sunlight..lol