Is having a single core processor a problem?

I asked a question a few days ago if getting this Toshiba Satellite Laptop is good. I also posted this other Toshiba T235D-S1345RD laptop i was thinking about. (i will post links in the details as Y!A! fails as doesn't post my original questions with the links) The only person who answered said the... show more I asked a question a few days ago if getting this Toshiba Satellite Laptop is good.

I also posted this other Toshiba T235D-S1345RD laptop i was thinking about.
(i will post links in the details as Y!A! fails as doesn't post my original questions with the links)

The only person who answered said the first laptop is bad as it is a single core processor and it'd be real hard for me to use it. They said most programs need dual-core processors to run. And, the 2nd choice while having a dual core, it is an AMD, which will degrade. = bad.

They gave alot of good information, but I don't want to automatically discount either laptop because of only 1 person. Especially because the prices are very good and it seems to have good features. BTW they mentioned i should get this HP laptop instead..

I think i can assume a single- core processor= runs slower than dual core.. But for the first laptop (and the second actually) there are LOADS of good reviews, saying it's absolutely great! I don't know what to think. :/

Help please? Thanks alot I really need it!!
Update 2: Thank you for the help!!! m(_ _)m