Applying to College, No Green Card?

i am currently a senior in high school. i am going to start applying to college soon. I have no Green Card but i have lived and schooled here for almost three years. Am i considered an international student?Does that hurt my chances of admission? my mom and two of my brothers have Green Card; if i apply for one sometimes in late August, when do you think i am mostly going to get it?


I have a visa

12 Answers

  • Raelyn
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It depends on what kind of visa you hold. You told us that you hvae a visa, but you won't tell us what kind, so we can't answer the question. School personnel are forbidden by law from asking about immigration status. You can choose to divulge your status in confidence to your teachers and counselors. They will NOT report you to ICE or any other authorities. Tell your guidance counselor exactly what kind of visa you hold, and he or she can help you.

    Source(s): I'm a teacher.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    If you are here on a visa you will first need to check whether you can study on that visa. If not you will need a new student visa. And while you are in the US on a visa you will have to pay international student fees.

    Why did your mother not get a greencard for you too? She should have done that together with the ones for your brothers. You can't apply for a greencard, your mother has to do that for you. Currently they are working on applications for the beginning of the year, so given that it will take a while to get all the materials together and figure things out you should have a greencard in about a year or so.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    If you are not a US citizen, not a recognised tribe such as Cherokee or Navajo, and have no citizenship, it is a crime for you to over stay your time limitations on your entrance visa. There may be some discerning rule concerning students, but I argue against it unless you are paying the full amount for the education and are not taking some resource away from an american citizen. If your status here requires a green card (as long as i am unemployed, we have no need for your family here in my town) and you have been here over 1 year (unless laws have changed) you would have to return to wherever, and re-apply as long as there is not some bogus law stating you can complete school first.

    Yes, so if you have a visa, you are allowed to stay as long as your visa permits. Also, some visas are extendable.

  • puran
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    No Green Card

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    If you don't have green card, i guess you are here undocumented, right? (illegal). Or do you have any visa papers? If not than it depends upon which states you live in. Some liberal states permit illegal student and others not. Also depends up on the college you are applying to.

    Bets of luck on your higher education

  • Vivac
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Do NOT follow any of the other answers as they don't seem to know how it works.If you have a legal status :

    1,YES you can go to college but it will definitely as an international student due to not being a US resident.

    2.Your chances of going to college are based on what you can bring to the college and if you would have the dedication to follow the curriculum successfully.

    3.Since you're still under 21 years of age it shouldn't take long for a visa number to become available so you may adjust status.

  • 9 years ago

    >Am i considered an international student?

    For the most part, yes. If you have a visa (I am assuming a student Visa) you will need to get it renewed, but you will not get in state tuition if it is a state school.

  • V2
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    If your parents have Green Card, you should get it without problem.

    I don’t think that being an international student would hurt your chances to be accepted to college; however you’ll have less monetary funds available for scholarships and financial aid. You also will need to pay higher tuition fees if you’ll choose to go to state school.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Well if you don't have a green card, what kind of visa do you have?

    What type of visa? Tourist visa, student visa?

  • 4 years ago

    My son schooling here from the K to 12, but so far not green card he is on H4 only

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.