SAHM...please explain to me how you keep your electric bill down... ?

What are your peak hours, when do you do most of your chores....what other ways can I help my family pay less for our energy usage??

Best Answer

This is fairly straight forward. Anything that uses electricity use it less often. When your not using something shut it off and/or unplug it. Electronics still use electricity when they are off but plugged in.

☼ Dimmer Switches, Night Lights, Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

☼ Low Flow Aerators for faucets, low flow shower heads and toilet tank banks in the toilet tank help cut back water usage.

☼ Adjust the temperature of the fridge/freezer. You want it cold enough to keep your food. Anything above and beyond that is excessive.

☼ Keep the temperature in your house at a comfortable temperature as opposed to an extreme all year round. Shut it off at the source if you don't need it.

☼ Open windows throughout the night to cool off your home. Close your curtains to keep your home cooler during the day. Plant shade tree's near the house to keep it cool.

☼ Dry clothing on a line instead of the dryer (if you can).

☼ Use LED lights during the holidays. Keep them on a timer to cut back on usage.

☼ Take advantage of natural light through the windows.

☼ Get rid of drafts in your home around doors/windows.

☼ Install a programmable thermostat if you need one for better control.

☼ Maintain your heating system to ensure it's running as efficiently as possible.

☼ Adding and upgrading insulation in your home can also be very effective.

☼ Keep your electronics clean and dust free helps them run more cool and efficiently.

☼ Cooking indoors in the summer can make your home hotter. Thus requiring more effort to cool your home.

☼ Wash laundry in cold water.

☼ Run full loads on your dishwasher instead of several partial loads. Air dry your dishes in the dishwasher by selecting an air dry cycle or opening the dishwasher door. Avoid heat drying. Also reuse things that you can to cut back on the amount of dishes that need to go through the process.

☼ Fix leaks.

☼ Use rain water and water barrels to water plants around your home.

☼ Make sure your water heater is running efficiently.

☼ Efficient appliances and electronics is obvious.

☼ Computers and computer accessories can really suck up your energy. Try putting them into a power bar, shutting them off and unplugging the power bar when you are not using them.

I have heard that electricity costs more during the day, so try and use things that take up alot of energy at night, such as, washing machine and tumble drier. Tumble dryers use alot of energy, so if you can have a washing line outside it would be much better. Whenever possible keep your lights switched off and maybe invest in some low energy lightbulbs. Whenever you are not using a plug socket, switch it off whenever possible and never leave tvs or computers on standby. In the winter try and keep your curtains fully drawn and if possible maybe invest in draught excluders and loft insulation. That way more heat will stay inside your home. Hope this helps.

• KAY

I don't use lights until it gets dark, and every light is turned off at bedtime. The tv gets it's most use on the weekends when my step-sons are here. I turn the air off when we leave and I really don't want to use it during the day. When I was a single girl I think my highest electric bill was $60. The highest it's even been is $122, but it's been a hot summer. You can also sometimes get on budget billing.

In many areas there are peak hours when the electric rates are higher...here from 9 pm to 7 am on weekdays and weekends (except for Saturdays during the summer, then it is only off peak from 9 pm to 7am) are off peak hours and the rate is about 40% less than it is during peak hours. We run the dishwasher before we go to bed and save laundry for the weekends.

• Karen

I am on economy 7 and I pay £85 per month by direct debit for a small two bedroom bungalow. This has only recently gone up from £55 per month! I use two economy heaters during winter but find them pretty useless. I leave most things on standby (bad I know) occasionally use extra heaters. I have my hot water tank set to heat up during the cheap time also. If you use a tumble dryer the price will go up drastically. Did you read the meter the day you moved in to the property? Hope the above info helps a bit.

I only do laundry when the load is really full, so only like one day a week ( with three kids) I have one load of whites, one darks and one towels and sheets.

Keep lights off during the day and curtains open. Dont let the tv or computer just sit on, when no ones watching it.. keep ac or heat ( depending on the season) either at like 75 degrees for summer and 68 degrees for winter

I work full time, but my husband is stay at home. Here's what we do:

- Laundry: full loads only. Wash everything in cold except in winter, wash the first load of the morning on warm so that the hot water that's been cooling in the pipes all night gets used up before people start showering. Use the dryer for 10 minutes (which gets the wrinkles out) and then line dry. Line drying outdoors is great because the UV radiation from the sun is a natural disinfectant and stain fighter. Line drying indoors works ok too. You'll be amazed to find out how much energy it takes to run a dryer and how much it heats up your house.

- Climate control. In the winter, we keep our heat at 62 degrees during the day and 58 at night. You won't freeze, I promise. We don't have air conditioning which I understand isn't as doable everywhere but a lot of people who can live without it don't. So be critical. What we do instead is in the evening, as soon as the outside air is cooler than the inside air, we open all the windows and create air flow by putting fans that draw outside air in on one side of the house and fans that blow inside air out on the other side of the house. Around 10pm, we turn all the fans so that they're sucking cool night air into the house. At about 6am, we take the fans out of the windows and close the curtains but keep fans on inside the house circulating. Don't use your oven or your dryer until the outside air is cooler than the inside air and you're ready to open all your windows. I've learn to cook darn near everything in a cast iron skillet on a BBQ. Conversely in the winter, do your laundry first thing in the morning so that the dryer will help warm the house.

- Showers: turn the hot water on halfway and adjust the cold accordingly. If you currently shower with 100% hot and 25% cold, you can achieve the same temperature with less water (and less hot water) with 50% hot and 12.5% cold. Learn to shower at night so that you're cooling your body down rather than trying to warm your body up.

- Find somewhere else to be at the hottest time of the day. In our house, it gets the hottest from 3:30 to 5:30. That's when the night time cold air is long gone but it's still too hot to open up the house. That's when we do things like go to the library or the play area at the mall.

- weather proof your house. Caulk your windows, update your insulation, check your door frames, etc. Your utility company should do an audit for you to help you find ways to save.

• sarah

Try and turn off lights in room when you leave and if it is bright out you can even try not turning on lights at all in the rooms with windows. Only do laundry when you have a full load dont waste energy with small loads, and if you only need one or two items wash you can hand wash in the sink. Also try and keep the air off if you have it or only turned on to the mid 70s, and in the winter wear sweatshirts and keep your heat down.

Good luck!

I am also a SAHM....my things are little, but they add up in the end. I wash all clothes in COLD water...it works just as well as hot, and gets the job done. I use the dishwasher and washer only when I have full loads. Lights off when not in a room.

Always open blinds slightly during the day.. enough to let light in but not enough for the sun to shine all the way through and heat up your home try sheer covers over your windows that helps filter the sun a bit. I am on budget billing so I know exactly how much my bill will be each month. Turn air to a set temp you can stand and turn all fans on in your home it costs less to use a fan and runs the air conditioner less.

EDIT: And thats why her comment got removed. Amen.

I vote Carrie as best answer!! That's some smart thinking here it's to hot to open windows even at night but I am all for using the fans to my benefit!

Source(s): Momma to a 6 month old and wife!