Cheap healthy low calorie and low fat food?

Does anyone know of some good cheap healthy low calorie low fat food options? I am trying to lose a few extra pounds after the birth of my daughter and I don't have much grocery money to spend on myself after other expenses. I don't like tomatoes, mustard, or fat free ranch/sour cream but aside from that I'm open to anything.

Favorite Answer

a massive cucumber or marrow will fill you up for hours...

You can try out a ketogenic type of diet which is known to be a very effective way to lose body fat. On this kind of diet, you eat only food rich with proteins and fats, and low on carbohydrates (thus making it low in calories as well). It may sound confusing how taking more fats will help you reduce your body fat, but by eating the types of food mentioned, the body enters a state called ketosis where your main source of energy becomes fat. That way, all the fat that you eat is used as an energy source, as well as your body's own fat. Many body builders use this kind of diet to considerably lower their body fat. If you are interested in this type of diet (together with recipes to get you started right away), check out the link mentioned as the source.

Hope that helped,

wish you all the best.

Try substituting whole grains for your regular starches. These can be bought in the dried foods aisle of most groceries. Things like kasha or barley or rice make a nice change from potatoes, and can be used with most meat dishes. Like anything else though, these need to be used in moderation, but the higher fiber content makes them well worth the while cooking them. Also try for beans of all types. A favourite of mine used to be making up a soup from a boneless/skinless chicken breast boiled for 30 minutes (just enough water to cover) or so and chopped up fine, throwing in a handful of vegetables and rice and cooking for another 15 minutes, season to taste and voila! -- a great non-fattening meal, without being expensive.

• joe714

my favorite diet food is cottage cheese

i use full fat but there's low fat too.

cottage cheese and jello is a good lowcal snack.

one of my standard meals is cooked mixed vegetables and then i add cottage cheese and salsa.

filling and not many calories and it tastes great to me with the salsa flavor.

cream cheese on a pc. of toast with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon is really good too.

i eat a high fat cheap diet. fat makes me feel satisfied and i don't want to snack between meals.

i lose 1/2 to 1lb. a week without really trying. 9lbs in 8 weeks and now it's slowed to about 1/2 a week.

Grill Chicken

Turkey

Bison

Tuna Fish

Greek Yogurt - either 0% or 2%

Cottage Cheese - either 0% or 1%

Apples with Natural Peanut Butter

Almonds

Cashews

Fruits

• Katya

If you have a farmer's market or fresh produce market near you, the fresh fruits, vegetables, and berries there are cheaper than they are at most groceries -- and of course, they're incredibly good for you.

Also, canned tuna is a relatively cheap, and whole wheat bread isn't more expensive than white bread, but is much better for you.

Celery is an easy one, burns off the calories it has by simply eating it, how great is that! :)

Lets see... what else..

Unsalted rice cakes

Popcorn, as in the kernals you buy and pop the old fashioned way, not salted or buttered.

taro roots

watercress

cucumber

radishes

lemons

rhubarb

mushrooms

ooh actually found a website that should help:

http://www.healthassist.net/food/calories-chart.sh...

• Mary

Lentils. They are dirt cheap, high protein, high fiber, low calorie, delicious if cooked properly, versatile, and are considered to be one of the healthiest of foods.

celery. you use up more calories trying to eat it than it actually has. (seriously its got almost no calories)