Do I still need a stepdown transformer, even if the adaptor comes with power surge protection?

Hi. I bought an item online from USA and tried the item today. However, the electrical item seems to have too much "power" although I put it a low settings. I realised that the power outage is different in USA and Singapore. If I buy a universal adaptor with power surge protection, is that enough? Or... show more Hi.
I bought an item online from USA and tried the item today. However, the electrical item seems to have too much "power" although I put it a low settings. I realised that the power outage is different in USA and Singapore.

If I buy a universal adaptor with power surge protection, is that enough? Or do I still need to get a step down transformer?

Appreciate your help!! Thanks!
Update: I used another adaptor with the electrical equipment. It doesn't state "power surge protection" though on the adaptor.. It states input : 240v-/120v-. I think US standard is 110v?