Jehovah Witnesses what is your belief on self defense?

• Suzy
    Favorite Answer

Well, the best thing is to do our best to stay out of a situation. But we all know that doesn't always work.

Jesus had given his disciples counsel: “You heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ However, I say to you: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him.” (Mt 5:38, 39) Here Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm, but he was teaching that a Christian does not need to pay back blow for blow, retaliating, taking vengeance. He was inculcating the principle of avoiding quarrels by not replying or reacting in kind. A slap on the cheek is not intended to injure physically but only to insult or to provoke into a fight. Jesus did not say that if someone strikes a Christian on the jaw, he should get up off the floor and hold the other side of his face for a target. What Jesus was saying was that if anyone tried to provoke a Christian into a fight or argument by either slapping him with an open hand or stinging him with insulting words, it would be wrong to retaliate. This is in harmony with the statements of the apostles, giving further emphasis to this principle.—Ro 12:17-21; 1Pe 3:9.

(Insite, Vol 1)

That being said, If our lives are in danger, we can protect ourselves. The last thing we'd want to do is spill another persons blood, as in kill them. This would make one bloodguilty. Accidents happen and Jehovah God knows what happens. As a young girl I was gang raped and believe me, I will do everything I can to get away if I find myself in that kind of situation. We don't have to kill a person but my knees work very well. I also know how to use a gun, have many rifles as I have livestock and have had to use them to protect my animals. I can aim for a knee or foot if need be.

Please don't get me wrong, I will not shoot a person. If someone is going to kill me and I realize it, I'd have to turn to Jehovah God in prayer, a very fast one, before any reaction on my part. These things in life we really don't know till we are in that situation and pray we do what is best in God's eyes.

It s the same old answer. Jehovah God is a killer. If His bride sins he will end their existence permanently, he has murdered many thousands in the Great Flood. Being God the Almighty couldn t he have found another way? It is the same ole same ole, do as I say and not as I do. I am a firm believer in self defense and will protect my life no matter who I have to kill or how many to do it. It must be nice to be part of the anointed class living in Bethel but I live in the real world not behind protected walls.

Just wait until the Jihadist come here and start killing then we will see how all you brave Christians act and what you will do to survive when it is your wives and children that get blown up. I was baptized in 1983 and my guns have saved my life and my families life more than once without firing a shot. Just the presence of a gun can and does end the argument. I will remain armed thank you.

Read the book of Daniel; see how his three young friends handled themselves? Just to prove you love Jehovah? That is everything, or don't you believe he can give you life back? ''Jesus said to her; ''I am the resurrection and the life. He that exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life, and everyone that is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all. Do you believe this?'' -John11: 25,26 The fact is, Jesus is our mediator and Jehovah's representative, and that he kept his integrity until death, if we too follow his example we will be victorious and will have Jehovah's favor. Do not waste time fearing something that has not happened. Put your trust in Jehovah, have faith in your king and stand firm. Faith can move mountains, where as fear is one of Satan's prime tools. Additional detail: Keep in mind that ''He's Alive'' or Joseph Z is an apostate and his only reason according to him for being here is to expose what he believes are lies and, or to turn people away from worshiping Jehovah. He is sadly a very angry man, as he dissociated himself and now his son will no longer associate with him. Thus he has turned his hurt feelings and anger toward all Jehovah's Witnesses, and for some reason he feels he needs to mention my comments in his A.Details.

Following are some excerpted paragraphs from one of our official publications:

"In situations where a person is simply accosted or when his money is demanded, a sound principle is: 'A slave of the Lord does not need to fight'.”—2 Timothy 2:24.

"This is not pacifism, a policy of nonresistance under any circumstance...

"At Exodus 22:2, 3, a situation is described in which a thief is fatally struck while entering someone’s home during the day. Such a defensive measure was considered tantamount to murder, since the thief could have been identified and brought to justice. But during the night, it would be difficult for the householder to see an intruder and ascertain his intentions. Therefore, the person killing an intruder in the dark was considered guiltless.

"Thus, the Bible does not uphold impetuous attempts at self-defense.

"In not supporting pacifism, however, the Bible indicates that there IS a time to defend oneself. Christians may ward off physically aggressive attacks against themselves, their families, or others in genuine need of defense. But they would not initiate an attack, nor would they physically retaliate to save their possessions. They would not carry weapons in anticipation of such an attack; rather, they endeavor to “live peaceably.”—2 Corinthians 13:11.

Compare that to the suggestion of George Napper, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., public-safety commissioner:

“Perhaps the best way to protect yourself is by risking your property rather than your life.

Most robbers and burglars are there to steal, not to kill.”

I personally agree wholeheartedly with this stand.

Source(s): "Self-Defense—How Far Can a Christian Go?" 1991 7/8 AWAKE! magazine, pgs 12-13 subheading: "A Time to Fight?"

We trust Jehovah and have faith that he will defend us. But like the bible says, faith alone won't relieve us from this cruel system of things; we must act accordingly. One thing is strictly self defense and another is going to some classes provoking self defense. Yes, we should not fight because we love our neighbor, but that does not give the person rights to abuse me or my family. If the moment comes, self defense will be used. But that's it. Just to defend,no t to offend.

Source(s): a Jehovah's Witness
  • X

Individuals have every right to defend themselves (physically if need be) if someone is attacking them. That is our belief. But we're not going to walk around "packing heat" in case that happens.

If someone came running towards me with an knife, I wouldn't just stand there and let him do it! Likewise, if someone broke into my home, and they had a weapon/or not, I would protect my family.

However I wouldn't go to any Kung FU/self defense classes.

if they are personally attacked, they can defend themselves.

if their country is attacked, you're on your own mate. the jws do not have your back.

never would they perform the greatest act of love for you. they're waiting to watch you die at armageddon.

No