Should marijuana be legalized in the United States?

I am a non-smoker, that after seeing much debate over the topic have decided put my own time to research marijuana. Here is what i have come up with. * Marijuana can bring much profit to the U.S. . Even with all the restrictions currently put on marijuana, it has exceeded the yearly profits of rice, apples,... show more I am a non-smoker, that after seeing much debate over the topic have decided put my own time to research marijuana. Here is what i have come up with.

* Marijuana can bring much profit to the U.S. . Even with all the restrictions currently put on marijuana, it has exceeded the yearly profits of rice, apples, grapes, cotton, and corn combined. If we were to control large production of marijuana and hemp, new markets and jobs would open to the people.

Cash crop information was from 2003-2005 cash crop survey by the department of agriculture.

* Proper distribution of marijuana will lead to less marijuana associated criminal activity also meaning the reduction of the "gateway drug theory". In most cases of illegal drug distribution, drug dealers sell a variety of items. If it were to be distributed properly, there would be less interactions with more lethal drugs. Proper distribution also means a safer product for the consumer.

*I have seen many Christian people against the legalization of marijuana but honestly, the only thing i have seen against it is “Let no man break the laws of the land, for he that keep the laws of God hath no need to break the laws of the land. Wherefore, be subject to the powers that be, until he [Jesus] reigns whose right it is to reign, and subdues all enemies under his feet.", but if marijuana were legal, this would not be an issue. Genesis 1:29 "Then god said "Behold, i have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you". I will leave this for your own interpretation.

*Marijuana can and is being used for medical purposes. Center for Medical Cannabis Research (CMCR) has provide much useful information on the medical uses of marijuana and I extremely urge you to view their website for yourself. Marijuana has been proven to help cancer and HIV patients cope with pains and reduction in growth of some tumors. It has also been shown effective in treating eating disorders, migraine headaches, glaucoma, sclerosis, and depression.

*1 in 7 drug prisoners are serving time for marijuana related offence's, costing the United States 1 Billion dollars a year. This money and prison space could be used for better purposes.

* There has been no recorded death of long term marijuana use, short term use, or overdose. However, there has been 435,000 tobacco related deaths and 85,000 alcohol related deaths in the year 2000, both of which are legal in the United States.

post your opinion of why marijuana should or should not be legalized and post your resources if possible.
Update: On the contrary my friend. Recently, marijuana is being seen as a way to help bring us out of this "depression".
Update 2: *Really? I suppose no one who ever died in a car wreck was stoned? Guess there aren't any drunk drivers either huh? Compared to texting, phone calls, alcohol, and even applying make-up, Marijuana is barely visible compared to them. Now answer me this, how many deaths have there been from using certain... show more *Really? I suppose no one who ever died in a car wreck was stoned? Guess there aren't any drunk drivers either huh?

Compared to texting, phone calls, alcohol, and even applying make-up, Marijuana is barely visible compared to them. Now answer me this, how many deaths have there been from using certain tylenol, cough medicine, benadryll, and other easily acquired medicines have caused death in car accidents? Do you honestly think Marijuana would be handled carelessly? It would have its dangers and warnings like any pack of cigarette.

*Think so? Do you know how freaking easy it is to grow pot urself? It's not like it has to be cured like tobacco either. Everybody would have it growing in their freaking windows so they wouldn't have to pay for it. Those that couldn't grow it would get it from their friends.

I am guessing you grow or have grown it seeing how you are so "knowledgeable" on the subject. Even if there was not enough $ to be made, it would keep it from criminals getting it.
Update 3: *Sure it could be used for better purposes but it wouldn't be. They would just keep the other prisoners longer. The money would still be used for the prisons. U aren't using ur brain. So you are saying you would rather want someone that is using an herb in jail rather than keep rapists and murderers in... show more *Sure it could be used for better purposes but it wouldn't be. They would just keep the other prisoners longer. The money would still be used for the prisons. U aren't using ur brain.

So you are saying you would rather want someone that is using an herb in jail rather than keep rapists and murderers in jail longer? Who isn't using their brain?

*Sure is. So is morphine and other drugs. Should we be able to buy them in the check out lane in the grocery store?

I see absolutely no valid point you are making. Making outlandish comparisons makes you only look even more naive. If I were to compare a boy killing a fly and Hitler causing the Holocaust what would you say? Should we stop killing flies only because it is over dramatically compared in such a way?
Update 4: I know all the stoners will give me thunbs down. So go for it. Fact is u really want it to be legal so u don't have to worry about getting put in jail over it. U don't really give a hoot about all the rest of it. I might not be popular here but at least I'm honest. You are getting honesty confused... show more I know all the stoners will give me thunbs down. So go for it. Fact is u really want it to be legal so u don't have to worry about getting put in jail over it. U don't really give a hoot about all the rest of it. I might not be popular here but at least I'm honest.

You are getting honesty confused with ignorance. If cigarettes were illegal in the same way that marijuana is, you would be pretty ticked off too if you went to jail for it. If you are going to try to *discect* an argument, do it properly and state valid ideas.